69 nose in the air options?

69 coupe. everyone always asks me why the front end sits so high. i cant decide if it actually does or if the wheel openings in fender are just higher. whether its supposed to or not, what are my options to get rid of that goofy look. Ive heard that cutting the springs is not a good idea. if i got lower springs i dont want the back end to be higher than the front. I just want it to be straight. sometimes it seems like it just seems like its the angle you are looking at it and that the body is actually parrallel to the ground. ive heard this is a common thing for older mustangs. any thoughts?

thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

I know the 65/66 had that nose up look. Seems to me that nearly all the models up through about 72/73, and possibly later, had that nose up look to some degree. I am not sure you can actually accomplish "straight" because of the natural lines of the body. You can verify the level down the length by measuring from the ground at different points along the sides.... or using a level even. Not something I ever gave much thought to doing.

I don't see a problem with dropping the nose an inch or two as long as it does not interfere with safe operation and handling, since the small alteration does not change things all that much. Filling up the wells with more wheel/tire may also help reduce the visual effect.

In the 60s Shelby engineers did what is called the "Shelby Drop" which dropped the nose about 1". A Negative Wedge Kit (available from such vendors as

, etc) does the same thing but in a somewhat different manner, and drops the nose about 1 5/8" (think that figure is right). There are also springs designed to do the same thing without the need for cutting (see classic Mustang vendors).

Some aftermarket wheel vendors like Vintage Wheel Works say that putting 16" or bigger wheels on an early model Mustang requires installing a Negative Wedge Kit. True? I don't know. Apply to your year? Again, I don't know. I know I have one installed on my 65 FB (along with a Bump Steer Kit). Seems to do the job it's designed to do.

I've also known others who raised the back end (for a different reas>69 coupe. everyone always asks me why the front end sits so high.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

RAKE IT! Drop it on it's nose and put some nice fat meats on the back ----- OH YEA!

| >thanks, | | Hey! Spikey Likes IT! | 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok | Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior | Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" | w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Reply to
SVTKate

Are your rear springs worn out? Putting larger tires on the rear can lift it up a little and help the visual aspect.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

The thread was about the appearance of a car... NOT "anyone's" home life.... raking the yard and doing WHAT?????? LOL

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

wrote

Sounds like your REAR end is the problem, not the front end. How old are the leaf springs?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Dang Spike, an old coot like you should remember THAT.

*sigh* In the 70's, that was the thing to do. raise the rear, drop the nose.

| | Hey! Spikey Likes IT! | 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok | Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior | Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" | w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Reply to
SVTKate

I have noticed that many of the 70's Mustangs look like that, and never liked it a bit. They seem to look as it they are a bout to leave the runway like a jet plane. If it were mine, I'd change it too. The nose it too high on them - IMO -

Reply to
SVTKate

Reply to
walt peifer

i got some new PST leafs a couple years ago. in hind site i probably really didnt need to at the time. but its done now. So i guess i will try the least expensive stuff first. im positive i need new rear shocks so will try that first. then maybe bigger rear tires.

Reply to
faust_151

Yeah... My first wife didn't like my 72 'stang, so she found a 72 Nova hatchback, w/12" steering wheel w/deep dish chrome reverse, mag fronts, graphic equalizer in the glove box, 14" wide rear skins, air shocks, lifter bars, dual outside exhaust, etc, etc, etc. The owner, Pepe, sold it to her cheap 'cause it had a leak in the air shocks. That was about the time my next door neighbor, Cindy, got herself a passion wagon and invited both of us to go try it out with her. Early

70s with some leftover 60s... LOL

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Ahhhhh.. those were the days!

| >*sigh* | >In the 70's, that was the thing to do. raise the rear, drop the nose. | >

| | Hey! Spikey Likes IT! | 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok | Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior | Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" | w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Reply to
SVTKate

My point exactly. The CARS are not suppose to look lile they are ready to be airborne.

*TSK*

Men!

| | Hey! Spikey Likes IT! | 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok | Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior | Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" | w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Reply to
SVTKate

Hey! Take some before and after photos, and let us see what you did :)

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

After the "Kate tastes good" portion of that other thread, and now this one, I'm beginning to wonder just what goes on offline with some of you guys... =)

Generally speaking about RAMFM, some of these things reveal themselves over time, and some are best left as they are, I guess.

Reply to
Wound Up

Absolutely NOTHING goes on off line..... not even any personal communicating offline.... why, we'd probably never speak to each other if we met on the street... right Kate? By the way....

the steaks are marinating and the beer is cold... spa is hot... and life's good as gold! So grab yer ol' man and make a plan across the nation to roam and mosey back home....

LOL : D

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Shocks do not affect static ride height. Bigger tires are not cheap. Cheapest thing is to cut the springs. Yes it will increase your spring rate slightly, and you also will be subtracting camber, maybe even enough to require a new alignment job. But the cutting itself requires only a spring compressor (rentable from Kragens for $5, free from Autozone) and a hacksaw. (Actually I use a wimpy little Dremel tool, but if you don't own one they cost about $50.)

Just don't cut too much. I'd say two inches equals off the tip of the spring equals about a quarter inch drop.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Spike's right NUTHIN goes on. This our story and we're sticking to it.

You got it sweetie...

But I betcha I see you here before you see me there! Only 5 more weeks!

K. (nice little prose ya scrawled out there Spikie!)

| >> Kate | >>

| >After the "Kate tastes good" portion of that other thread, and now this | >one, I'm beginning to wonder just what goes on offline with some of you | >guys... =) | >

| >Generally speaking about RAMFM, some of these things reveal themselves | >over time, and some are best left as they are, I guess. | | Hey! Spikey Likes IT! | 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok | Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior | Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" | w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Reply to
SVTKate

Therein lies the biggest problem... it's not so much the cutting as it is the proper amount of cutting... and, as I recall, to make sure the springs are lined back up properly.

There are springs specifically made for this task, which maintain the correct spring rate, etc. I'd almost guarantee Mustang's Plus and National Parts Depot has them, and likely other vendors who carry mod parts in addition to resto.

Your method "may" be correct, but it is a guess which may require removing, cutting, and reinstalling, only to find it necessary to remove, cut , and reinstall again... That's IF too much was not cut off in the first place, in which case the springs would have to be replaced anyway.