69 shoulder belts where?

I think I read on this group long time ago that even if a car didnt come with shoulder belts that they still drilled the hole for them at the factory.?? Is that true?

I want to install shoulder belts but my headliner is stretched pretty tight and cant feel where the hole might be without wrecking the headliner so if i could find out where the hole is supposed to be I can try and figure out how to do this without redoing my headliner which Ive heard is a nightmare.

All I can ask is where the hole is in relation to the window or the cloths hanger thing.

God is this the dumbest sounding question ever posted or what? If it saves me some time great.

Thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

If you can't find the answer, I might suggest you contact the people at

or
(1-800-999-4289). My belts came from threepointbelts and they were very customer friendly when I contacted them, and Mustangs Plus has always been ready to assist when I have called. The former is who advised me that as early as 65 the anchor location was already put there.

Also, if you Google to Tom Schmidt's Mustang Page, scroll down the index to either Technical or How To's there are links to several 3 point conversions web sites, though I am not sure what years are covered. You might also go to Mustang Monthly or Mustang and Fords and check their technical articles. They are good about photos, so if they did a 69/70 they very likely photoed the headliner anchor point.

On my 65FB , by the way the anchor point is after the first headliner bow following the coat hook.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Your '69 would have come from the factory with a shoulder belt by federal law.

Use a hairdryer to heat the headliner a tiny bit, just enough to feel the edge of the mount. IF you can't feel the edge of the mounting plate, then I'd say that headliner might be too tight sonce it's gonna HAVE to stretch enough to allow the bolt and thick washer to mount through it. The washer holds the headliner tight against the mount though you can't see its outline.

The hole is ~3" directly forward of the rear "coathook" and ~1" behind the edge of the mounting plate. It's almost directly above the top rear corner of the wing window.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I understand 3" and 1" but what's the tilde doing in there? ~

Reply to
Mark C.

It's also used to mean 'approximately'.

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

FYI: Federal law required shoulder belts to be installed in the front seat of new cars starting in the 1968 model year.

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

good info, exactly what i was looking for, thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

So Wesco is the brand of the belts I put in my kids' '65 fb:

Those globe designs on the buckles give it away:
I bought them from a hotrod shop that advertises in the back pages of the Goodguys' monthly mag.

My product review of these belts is that they are inexpensive and they feel that way. The fabric is very thin. The retractor reels sometimes catch as you pull the belts out -- which is good, in the sense that this is what you want them to do (catch) if you ever hit something, but bad in terms of convenience. They teach you to use a smooth continuous motion when you're pulling them out.

Each one of ours has got hung at least once, where they wouldn't unlock at all, so you couldn't pull the belt out. Each time the condition corrects itself, but once it took about a week for this to happen. Also, this hasn't happened for awhile, which says to me that the ratcheting mechanism has worn in over the past year to where they are a little looser than when new.

Also, the rear seat lap belts are way too long for a Mustang. Not a biggie, you just cut them to length and have your wife who is a professional dressmaker stitch them back together on her industrial sewing machine.

As with everything, you get what you pay for. To do it right I would shop the junkyards and find some OE belts that fit. But the Wesco belts are shiny, new, and available. And they are verrry sensitive, so they WILL catch if you hit something.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

"Mark C." wrote