69 steering play

I installed a grant challenger steering wheel on my 69 F/B I have found that I can turn the wheel quite a bit before any movement to the wheels! What does anyone think of a Flaming river power steering set up or is it a poor use of money if your pass your limits now!

Reply to
Jeff

I have had that problem, even before we re-installed the power steering pump to make it active again i would have to turn the wheel a good half to three quarter turn before it would pick up to make it go where I wanted to. my father and I considered shelling out the $1200 for a new rack and pinion set--but instead we decided to just see what we could do by taking it in to a shop somewhere. $300 later we have great steering, and no give with the wheel. its worth considering!

-M '65 coupe

Reply to
meggers

Depends on where the problem is. It could anything from the rag joint to the outer tie rod ends. Or a little bit of each one. Find out exactly what the problem is before throwing parts at it. If it has the original front end, you should really consider replacing all the joints and bushings. You can get an excellent kit from Mustangs Plus with all the parts you need.

Reply to
.boB