'69 Tranny Conversion

I've ordered some catalogs, but this question can't wait. Does someone offer a kit to convert a '69 Mach 1 with automatic to a manual? I'm talking about all the pieces parts needed under the dash and chassis for the proper clutch pedal, brake pedal, linkages, springs, supports, etc. I just got Mustang Unlimited's catalog and it appears I can order all that's needed, but I was hoping someone had already done the leg work and had a kit. Also, is any cutting, drilling, or welding required for this conversion, or are all the necessary bolt holes there from the factory?

Reply to
John

None that I ever heard of. You might be able to get a local shop to do the conversion for you, or at least round up everything you'd need.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Yes. More than one company sells a complete kit to install a T5 or Tremec. Including bellhousing, clutch pedal, cable, driveshaft - everything.

Reply to
boB

"boB" wrote

Just remember if you do this that you have to install a pilot bearing into the back of the motor.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Are you referring to the input shaft pilot bushing (bearing) as on a '66 with a 3 speed? I recall helping my brother change his clutch around 1974 on his '66 and we changed it out.

Reply to
John

Yes, I just wanted to add the reminder since engines with automatics don't have one.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"66 6F HCS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

While we are on the Subject can you shoehorn a 6 speed Tremec into a 69? or is the 5spd all that will fit without major fabrication?

Reply to
Steel Pig

Since the T-56 comes in the SVT Cobra, I bet you can. Don't know for a fact, but the '69 has more room than the new Mustangs.

Reply to
John

Anyone know for sure? Or is there a resource that may be able to help? The old Top Loader is great and forgiving but a 5 or 6 spd might be nice.

Reply to
Steel Pig

It won't fit without the tranny tunnel being reworked. The tunnel has more slope in it than the modern cars even if the earlier cars are bigger. It throws off the pinion angle extremely on the modern tranny. You could bolt it in, but you'll have a lot of vibration if done that way.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

How about the Richmond 6 spd?

Isn't this the Old Doug Nash updated?

Is this a better option?

Reply to
Steel Pig

Of those I have no idea. I just knew about the other 'cause I was thinkin' of doing it and did my research. If you GOTTA have an OD manual that'll easily fit, and handle a crapload of torque, just get a T5 from G-Force.

66 6F HCS

Yes. IMO, no. The Richmond is 5 gears +OD. The T56 is 4 gears +2OD. Like a european car, use a rear gear like 2.75-3.00, since the Richmond has a very low first. The Richmond is also heavier, larger, longer, and more expensive. But it is pretty strong.

Reply to
.boB

Will the Richmond have the same problems with pinion angle?

This is the dilemma.

I still want to run 3.73 rear gears in the 9 inch figuring that I can row the gearbox through the twisties and stay on pipe.

weight and size are not a problem unless it will not fit right.

I was also thinking that if I could find a Monarch/Granada/Versailles rear end with disks that this would be a cheap disk conversion and a narrowed rear end Couple inches FTF if I remember these had 2.73 rear gears in them, this is doable with a deep first like the Richmond.

Too many options these days.

But I figure if swap out the tranny why not go for the gusto.

Any one know what will fit for sure?

".boB" wrote in news:416ADBB6.3070907 @access4less.net:

Reply to
Steel Pig

"Steel Pig" wrote

Yes, normally those rearends came with highway gears in them, but the calipers are non floating, meaning that if you get a rotor with a barely perceptible warp in it, the rotor will grab that side harder and wear it down much quicker and making the warp even worse. Newer calipers float back and forth over the rotor. Plus, those rearends are near impossible to find nowadays because of the popularity of that swap. It's a nice swap for a street car, but I wouldn't use those calipers on a road racer.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"66 6F HCS" wrote in news:5 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

This sounds good, but how much performance difference is really

perceptable? When only occasionally flogging down the back canyon roads

or ridge running?

I understand that floating disks and calipers are more perfomance oriented with respect to motorcycles, but in a vehicle that is going to get wrung out maybe twice a month for maybe 5-10 miles of hard twisties will it make a real difference. And no I have never seen floating rotors on a car.

Reply to
Steel Pig

"Steel Pig" wrote

Well the Granada was no road warrior. I'd still get a kit and KNOW for sure what I'm jumping into, instead of "hoping" they'll work like I'd want'em to.

If you've replaced the pads on a modern car (last 10-15 yrs) then you've seen them. They all slide, side to side, on lubed steel sleeves. The Granada's don't.

Reply to
66 6F HCS