71 Mustang rebuild

All, I'd like to impose on you all a bit and ask for some advice on some rebuilds I'm preparing for. I've got a 71 Mustang convertible that's almost all original. I'm mostly going to stay original with it, but a few systems will get upgrades to modern standards. Anyway, I'm starting with the suspension, and had some questions. It's got a 351C in it.

I can order parts either piece by piece or from a generic kit. Going part by part I can spec things out more, but who is good to order from and who sells crap? Are the kits worth it, and a good way to go? Since I'm going to replace almost everything, I'm thinking the kits are the way to go. The suspension on the 'stang is shot right now, and anything will be an improvement.

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
Arioch

Check out the Magnum kits from Mustangs Plus.....Polyurethane bushings instead of the stock rubber units for a firmer, more modern ride........Also, buy a complete kit (upper control arms, lower control arms and all assorted pieces)...Not only is it economical, but once you have the front suspension apart, you'll only have to do things once, and not piece it together. Do both the front and rear suspension at the same time. Final advice, don't lower the car more than 1.5 inches................

Hope you find this helpful.

Yours in Fords,

Bill S.

Arioch wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I bought a kit from Mustangs Plus for my '66. All the parts are high quality, and it's cheaper than piece by piece. It's also easier to get the job done in one week end, since you have everything you need in one box. I stuck with rubber bushings since it's a light weight car and it's only a daily driver. But I did opt for a larger sway bar with poly bushings. The ride is smooth as silk, and it handles the corners pretty good. Certainly not an autocrosser.

Reply to
.boB

Thanks everybody for the great feedback. No matter how I worked it, I was going to spend a grand on suspension, and just wanted to hear from a few people who was good. Mustangs Plus looked like the way to go, and their kits have everything I need (which is everything). Thanks again.

Arioch

Reply to
Arioch