72 Mach1 intermittent starting

I have a '72 Mach1 that had a rough life before I got it. Somewhere along the way it got a mid-80s 302 put in it, and the wiring's been cut and spliced over and over. When I got the car it started reliably, although if the battery was left attached it would get drained to nothing before the week was out. I'm working around that (disconnecting when not in use), but lately the car has been just not starting. What seems to be happening is, on the weekend I'll hook up the battery and notice the dome light goes on when i open the door. Turn the key; it turns over and starts up. I drive it for about 10-15 minutes, then come back home and shut it off. I try to turn the key again and nothing. No starter motor, not even a 'click' sound from the starter solenoid on the wheel well. Open the door and the dome light comes on as it should. Turn on the headlights and they light and don't visibly dim after 30 seconds. Last weekend I tried checking all the connections between the starter, starter solenoid, alternator, and ignition on the column. Thought I had it licked when it started, but same thing happened again. I've already replaced the alternator and starter solenoid. What to do now? I'm hoping I can put off rewiring the whole car until I decide what I'm going to do about the engine, but I'd like to at least have it running reliably until then. Any ideas?

Thanks, Neil

Reply to
neildomo

There are two things that kill a battery the starter and the horn. I assume you did a current draw on both? If not take the starter down to an auto parts store and have a current draw test done on it. for the horn a simple thing to do is disconnect it and see if the battery is still discharging.

Reply to
Les Benn

I had similar problem,

could be the starter solenoid, itself, I found one (a brand new one) the internal ground wire was not even connected, just lying on the chassis ground, piece of shit china junk. Replaced it, now OK, but could be same china pos.

try testing the solenoid by itself, disconnect heavy battery lead, by applying 12 to the terminal, should be loud click, mine was intermittent, replaced it again now ok.

Reply to
Dear Leader

You list the car as a mach 1.Starter not even working no click nothing? Some mach's mostly big blocks though had a starter overheat module just below the solenoid. this was to stop from melting the battery cables under the high load of the big block starter.

Other than that like everyone else I'd say starter solenoid has a heat problem and needs to be replaced.

Reply to
walt peifer
10-1 > minutes, then come back home and shut it off. I try to turn the ke > again and nothing. No starter motor, not even a 'click' sound fro th > starter solenoid on the wheel well. Open the door and the dom ligh > comes on as it should. Turn on the headlights and they light an don' > visibly dim after 30 seconds. Last weekend I tried checking all th > connections between the starter, starter solenoid, alternator, an > ignition on the column. Thought I had it licked when it started bu > same thing happened again. I've already replaced the alternator an > starter solenoid. What to do now? I'm hoping I can put off rewirin > the whole car until I decide what I'm going to do about the engine > but I'd like to at least have it running reliably until then. An > ideas >

I've had Ford small blocks in classic Mustangs fo

30 years. They are pretty simple configurations compared to the newe motors

From what you have described, the problem obviously is in the wirin

or an item in the wiring. The fact that the wiring has been patche is a sure red flag and likely where the problem is. The batter running down if you leave the battery attached is pretty unusual Short of leaving lights (or a horn button short) on I can't think o what would cause that other than a short in that wiring. I woul replace the harness to eliminate that as a potential cause

Another thing you should check just to eliminate this is the ground o

the block. Take it off and sand the rust off the end and the block. I there is not a good ground, it won't turn over. And if you haven' cleaned this if could be giving you some intermittant problems. Thi is a pretty easy thing to "fix". It might be rusty enoug and/or loose to be causing issues. This would not run your batter down though

Reply to
Kwiksilver