'73 Mustang Grande... Good price?

I looked at a '73 Mustang Grande today. Price was $1200.

The good: The engine is a 302. It has a big cam, 4v intake and Holley carb. Looks and sounds like it is in reasonably good mechanical condition. Will need the basics, a tune-up, but appears to be healthy. Most of what it needs comes with the car.

The bad: It was rear-ended and the bumper and part that holds the gas filler across the whole back of the car is bent in along with the trunk floor being bent up. Comes with replacement rear panel and trunk floor. Car has incorrect steering column (no clue what it's from) but comes with a correct steering column from another '73 Mustang. The front sway bar is freakin' huge, much bigger than the ones on my Galaxies. It broke the front sway bar mount on the driver's side where the front bolt goes through. Dash is all there and in decent condition, though is just set together, needs to be properly reassembled. The interior is severely worn, some small tears in seats and overall dirty, faded, and not together, but all appears to be there. Originally had AC (brackets still there), but AC equipment is missing.

Is this a reasonable price? If I decide to go back and look at it some more waht should I specifically look for? What areas are prone to rust and rott? I don't want to get into too extensive body work, I made that mistake with my '67. The guy says the frame is solid and he's already repaired most of the rust (welded in patch panels on the rear quarters).

Mustang's never appealed to me, but I think because the '73 is so different and you don't see many of them, let alone Grande's, I like it. After all, that's why I like the full-size Fords, you don't see a whole lot of them, but everyone has a Mustang. Also, the '73 was the biggest Mustang ever made... Since I love the full-size cars the size of this Mustang has probably caught my attention too.

I was originally looking at it for my girlfriend (who is mildly interested... She wants a big old Lincoln, she likes the sharp lines), but now I'm liking the idea of it as a toy. I'm thinking if I sell my '67 Galaxie I could get this Mustang, which would be a better investment, as my Galaxie is quite rusty. Pretty solid mechanicals and a reliable car, but body and frame are rusty. Makes a good driver, but I don't see myself ever restoring it. I guess I'm just toying with ideas since my '68 will be out of action until next summer at the earliest. The more I think about it the more I like thinking of myself behind the wheel of this car.

It would be a good amount of work, but if it's a good deal it may be worthwhile. Let me know what you guys think about the condition of the car and if the price seems reasonable, or if you think I should make a lower offer if I decide to go for it.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Sounds like the car was ridden hard, and put away beaten to death. I would shy away from this one, lots of others out there for a little more that are in better shape, and will be less expensive in the long run.................

Bill S.

Cory Dunkle wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Alright, I think I'll let this one go then. Thanks for the advice. At least I got a good look at it, so if I ever decide to get a Mustang I'll know what I'll want. A '73 Grande fastback. Nice looking cars they are.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

You do mean a Grande "Notchback".