74 Mustang II Ghia repair question

Hi,

I am having a problem with my car.

  1. The gas gauge is always empty, even if i put gas in. I noticed it the past week now. I have 2 manuals on my car and i was wondering is there a cheaper and easier way of fixing the thing the rattles my gas tank too....

  1. Power steering on the driver side is leaking daily, is there a way to fix the problems near the bellows area?

thanx, adriana

Reply to
Adriana

Adriana opined in news:RfY1b.9388$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Coulld well be related. The gas tank needs to be pulled, in either case.

If you can get to the wire to the gas gauge sender, ground it and see if the gauge go to "Full". That would mean the sender is bad.

Have to replace the steering rack... any other fix would be very time consuming and temporary.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic opined in news:Xns93E15C07399DEBkMch6d@216.168.3.44:

Ooops have to brush up on reading comprehension....

NEAR the bellows could be the hoses to the pump. If the bellows themselves dont show fluid inside.. the likely answer is replace hoses, seals.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The rattle in the gas tank is likely the float..... that means the guage willl always read empty.

I agree with BYM.... but you will have to give a little more info. From your description, it could be the pinion seal (input seal), a hose or a rack seal. Many rack parts can be either difficult to obtain or require special tools or technique to replace. If it is indeed a rack piston seal that is leaking, check out a rebuilt long rack assembly. The long racks come with new inner tie rods preinstalled and can be surprisingly inexpensive.

Jim Warman

Thanks for your input...i just put in new plug wires and cleaned around the engine.. i also got shocked by touching the distributor cap while the car was running... hehehe...but i am ok...it woke me up...

About the gas guage thing... it seems i have to replace the sender thing...is their a way to take it out without removing the fuel tank?

While wiping off oil crap from the engine i feeling the brackets near the fuel pump above the starter it seems theirs a screw washer thingy loose but no way to know if its an actual screw or bushing ... their was too much oily crap to clean that i got a rash... hope later this weekend i will jack up the car and look under to see were exactly the pwr strng fluid is coming out.... any advice will be very helpfull...

thanks Adriana

Reply to
Adriana