'85 GT upgrade

Hi all. I am new here. I am thinking about upgrading my '85 GT from 4-lugs to 5-lug wheels and bigger disc brakes all around. Has anyone here done or is familiar with the upgrade? I've seen the one where they use the axle from a mid-80's Lincoln and the front spindles of an early '90s GT. It looks reasonable and theoretically sounds good, but how about practically and functionally? What about wheel-well clearance? Is the new setup too wide or too narrow?

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Themio

Well you've picked the most expensive way to do it. If you go from four to five lugs you need new axles in the rear, new disks and spindles up front, some kind of aftermarket rear disks, brackets & calipers and of course new rims and tires. FRPP makes several kits which will let you achieve your goal but you are looking at a major outlay in cash.( Around $4,000 in parts is a good estimate.) A less expensive way would be, live with the current four lug pattern, (there are any number of aftermarket wheel & tire combinations that will bolt to the stock set up if you just have to have new wheels), and just upgrade the rear drums to disk using the FRPP or SSBC rear disk conversion kit. Put a 73mm caliper from a Lincoln LSC or Crown Victoria on the front and your good to go, all a considerably lower cost. I have this exact set up on my 88GT, all nice and neat under the stock turbine rims. Another good thing about this set up is it uses mostly OEM parts, so any brake shop can work on it if need be.

Reply to
ironrod

Thanks,

The way I am looking at it, by using a used rear for the axles and the brakes (I believe I read about a Lincoln setup) and the front you recommended I can get it done for about $1000. I just don't know how reliable it will be. I am glad to hear that you got your front done and did not hear you complain. You bring up a good point, mostly OEM.... hmmm....

Thanks for the info.

Tim

Reply to
Themio

The rears were professionally done, the installer informed me about the increased peddle effort and how to correct it. The 73mm LSC calipers just bolt on in place of the stock 65mm ones, no other modifications needed.

Reply to
ironrod