86 GT 5.0, considering headers

Hello all. As the subject implies, I own a 1986 GT and I am considering headers. Basically, my cats are shot, and I figure if I have to replace the H pipe anyway I might as well go the full 9 and replace the stock manifold too. However, I am unsure as to what my best option would be. Looking through the catalogs I see three distinct varieties of headers, equal length, full length, and shorty. Which of these would be best for my car? It will have to be street legal, as it is an on again/off again daily driver. Basically stock motor, no supercharger or turbo (although I may add something in a few years, who knows?). Cat back exhaust is 2.25in (cheap auto zone) pipes and a pair of dynomax super turbo mufflers. Future plans also include new heads/intake (FRPP or Dynomax probobly) and 3:73 gears (don't know if any of this makes a difference, thought I might as well mention if just in case). Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Reply to
Iconoclast

You basically have two options to start with. You can either go with shorty headers, or long tube headers. Shorty headers are shorter, in which the H-pipe comes almost up into the engine bay to connect. Long tubes run way down near the tranny, and use a much shorter H-pipe.

Then if you decide to go Shorty, you can choose between equal and unequal length. Performance wise I believe the Equal length are a bit better, but not much. Equal length are harder to install because they take more room, and make changing your spark plugs alot tougher than with unequal length.

So its up to you. Personally i'd go with the unequal shorties. Thats what I had on my old 5.0 and really liked them. A friend of mine has longtubes on his

5.0 and I dont care for the sound. Hope this helps.

-Franklin '96 Cobra

Reply to
WhyteStang

1-1/2 longtubes would be best or 1-1/2 unequal shorties would be next best with a stock engine. Most headers will be 1-5/8 but they'll rob some low end torque and would be better on a modified engine.
Reply to
winze

Thanks for the info (and winze too). To prove once again that I'm never satisfied, now I'm gonna milk you for more info ;)

How much of a heat problem do you think this mod will create, if any? I've heard headers get hot, sometimes melt wires and the such, is this all of them or just a specific style/application?

Reply to
Iconoclast

Ive never had any problems. Naturally just dont let a wire rest on the header and you should be fine.

-Franklin '96 Cobra

Reply to
WhyteStang