87 mustang 5.0 family member?

I need to bounce something off of you guys!!! I saw an old friend the other day, who I hadn"t saw in a long time. He still had his old 87 5.0 that he had bought new. After a feew beeers and some old war stories I asked for the keys??? He gave me the keys, and I proceeded to do a doughnut, a beautiful burnout, and generally arouse everyone in his "retirement village"/ neighborhood. I guess I think about vehicles for more than what they are. When I got in that car I felt like I was with an old buddy that I shared a dirty secret with. It was almost like a Great Big Hug from a friend that you had missed, and then my friend, my wife, his wife, his kid, my kid, his neighbors........ proceeded to make me feel like a real a"? hole..... and to think that I thought I had done a good deed. Am I the only person that sees the beauty in exploiting an old trashed thing, whom I love and one that would expect no less from me... Feedback Please

Reply to
matney9657

It is a great car, 87 to 93. Great shape, lines, and 500 pounds lighter than a 06 !! has a keene Bell 8# in it, burns out through 1,2 and half of third. It looks like sh*t, cheap ass paint over this DPS car, no dents at all, but body flexes some, very stiff cop suspention, now squeaky increadable acceleration, peal out anytime impress friends (one way or the other) very few want to ride in it with me, it scares them, unless they had a few beers. thats is when it is cold, when hot, it gets detonation, I need to move the timing back someday or sell it, but hard to find another car with that type of acceleration. test drove an 06 but it kept bogging. and the 93 keeps aging, has lots of carbon built up on #2 sparkplug, ring or valve must be leaking, needs injectors cleaned

Reply to
Fredless

I still have the '89 LX that I bought new from the dealer. For me the real charm of the Fox Mustangs is their lack of refinement. They are the last of the old style muscle of car. The '89 reminds me of the '66 GTO I drove in that neither car was very refined but they were a blast to drive.

I can't think of another car that can take a beating like a these cars can. IMO, they are as close to indestructible as you can get for a production car. I drove mine like I stole it every chance I got for

120k miles before the first non-maintenance repair was required which was the replacement of a tie rod end. The original clutch lasted for about 120k miles too.

After all that beating I installed heads, cam and a KB blower (up to 16 psi of boost) on the stock short block and beat the hell out of it for another 35k miles. It currently is sitting in the garage with an "issue" that I haven't bothered to diagnose for a couple of years. It might be something minor or major but for now it will set until I can get into a 427W engine swap. The engine still doesn't burn any more oil than when it was new and the compression was good across all the cylinders the last time I checked. My story has been experienced by many Fox Mustang owners. Getting well over 200k from basically stock cars before ANY major repair is not uncommon.

I will never sell my Fox car. My wife will go before it does. It's a good thing she knows the pecking order. This way she won't ever ask me to sell it. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE
273,000 miles on my 88GT 'vert, just drove it from my house and back again in NM to my mom's house in Ala. for thanksgiving. The only issue was both headlights burned out within hours on each other, forcing me to get off the freeway and go searching for a Wal Mart one evening.

Reply to
KEITH MCCUMBER

So if I'm understanding you correctly, all those people you named took issue with the donut & burnout that you did in their neighborhood, and in the end they made you feel like an a$$hole. What exactly did these people say to you? Were these donuts & burnouts done in the street, right in front of people's houses? Certainly you can't be real surprised if people would be displeased with that. It's not the sort of thing people like to see or hear from their living room.

Reply to
jmvannoy

Personally, I would have shot him dead as soon as I knew the Mustang was out of gear. This would never have happened of course because I would NEVER toss my Mustang keys to someone, I don't care if God him self had asked. And if he'd done that in front of *my* house, he would definitely been waiting for the blowtube truck and spending the night in jail for DWI and whatever. That's just plain stupid doing something like that in a residential area.

Reply to
WindsorFox