'87 stang and Mobil 1

I have an '87 Mustang that I put less than 1000 miles on per year. I have been using Mobil 1 for over ten years. How long can I go between oil changes. Does it break down over time from just sitting? Thanks

Reply to
BF

I'm not sure what the time frame is for Mobil One but I would change it annually. For some reason letting any oil go beyond a year between changes goes against my grain. You probably should drive the car more than you do to keep the seals moist, water from condensing etc.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I agree. I too use Mobil 1 for my 1973 Mustang that gets used 45 hrs. per year(the stock 1973 Mustang 4 bbl. I spoke of in an earlier post).

The oil itself will be fine, but the contaminants you will want to get out of it annually... condensed fuel & water, acids, coolant/water residue, etc.

The best time to do it is at the start of the longest storage period.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I change it once a year so it sounds like you guys agree. Thanks. This car only has 44,000 miles and is in near perfect condition. I just don't have the opportunity to drive it much, but it sure is fun when I do.

Reply to
BF

I use Amsoil and they recommend 35K or one year so I change once per year.

Reply to
WindsorFox

trainfan1 wrote in news:y9qdna602amccp7anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@usadatanet.net:

Depending on where you live, you might want to change it every 4 to 6 months. If the car's worth it, it's certainly good, inexpensive insurance to do so. Also, be sure to check the rubber inside and out for dry rot.

Reply to
Joe

WindsorFox wrote in news:dHVMi.66453$hP1.27702 @newsfe13.lga:

I wouldn't be advertising that...

Reply to
Joe

I wouldn't either. While chemically the oil may be able to survive

35K, there are just too many contaminants been in/in the oil after that many miles. Besides, what's 20-25 bucks (for 5 quarts of syn oil & a filter) a couple times a year for a car you love?

I'm curious what one of these oil longevity sensors the factories are putting in some cars would do with a "35K oil".

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I do and always will. All my vehicles and the mustang since 95 and that was when it was a daily driver and drag raced or solo ll every weekend. And the millions of other Amsoil users will also as will any user of a top shelf oil such as Amsoil or Red Line. Your mental illness involving MLM marketing is not of concern to me and my oil analysis reports.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I"ve gone to Mobile One and a once a year oil change for all my vehicles. The most any of them get in a year is 8000 miles.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I use Mobil 1 and I change it once a year. I don't drive it in the winter though. I put about 6k miles on it from Spring to Fall and then each Spring I do an oil change.

Reply to
jmac72187

WindsorFox wrote in news:4WYMi.106704$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.lga:

And _this_ is why you are an idiot. Case closed.

So why did you respond?

Reply to
Joe

That depends on filtration, and not according to the analysis reports I've seen.

I guess that depends on how the sensor works. I read some years ago that VW recommended a very good synthetic oil and change at 10K miles.

Reply to
WindsorFox

If you want to live with your head up your ass that's fine but there are 2 other people who run the same schedule on lesser quality oil, so obviously people are learning. There are far far more than that all over the U.S. as well running the same and longer intervals, I personally know quite a few. I assure you that the people I get my information and facts from are far more knowledgeable than you are, in fact being called an idiot by a name calling, Dodge driving clueless wannabe is pretty much moot IMO.

Reply to
WindsorFox

What brand(s) of filters do your knowledgeable friends recommend?

recommend oil changes about 9K-10K. Though one road test I read recently had one go about 18K before the sensor said it was time for a change.

I would never go by a mileage number or a calendar. Instead, I base mine on the type of driving I do. Lots of stop-and-go or short hops I do the changes more frequently.

But, again, what's 20-25 bucks for 5 quarts of syn and a filter a couple times a year for a car you love? Plus, putting the car up on ramps or a lift to do a oil change gets you under there to do some preventive maintenance investigative work.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

WindsorFox wrote in news:%dgNi.3227$bM6.1097 @newsfe20.lga:

One more reason why you are an idiot. Wanna try for another?

Reply to
Joe

I would do that as well if I had a varying Style of driving, but I don't especially in the Mustang now that it's not a daily driver anymore. Of course, most people do. They use Quaker-Maid or Albertson's brand motor oil or whatever bottom of the line stuff Jiffy uses and go back every 3 month or 5K miles. I agree, what's the cost of an oil change, no big deal. That's why I change it every year anyway, though I'm told I'm wasting oil. With the dual filter system and oil analysis every six months, I could leave the oil in the Mustang indefinitely until the analysis says it needs to be changed. One guy I know had over

200K miles on the oil. He said he finally changed it just because. LAst time I talked to him the college kid that bought the car from his wife was still driving it. This is not something I just jumped into, I talked to lots of people, did a lot of reading and research. If the idea of longer intervals was all hooey and no one but idiots were doing it, there would not be so many people doing and so many companies would not be embracing it, Mobil and VW. I'm sure quite a few rednecks spewed beer at the TV the first time they saw and ad for "extended life" motor oil. Everyone I know that uses Amsoil motor oil uses Amsoil filters, but I know people that like the Donaldson, K&N and Mobil 1. Not one enthusiast I know of admits to using a Fram filter.
Reply to
WindsorFox

You have yet to make one valid point. Poor little wannabe. Wanna try for another? How about poor lil hemi, can't keep up with a Toyota or a Nissan and wishes it could get the same mileage. Son, you've already proven your stripes here. I suggest you keep moving before you get your feelings hurt again Klaribel...

Reply to
WindsorFox

WindsorFox wrote in news:oBvNi.334846 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.lga:

LOL! WF, you are one sad dude.

Here's a newsflash - I've already made my point: Anyone who goes 12 months without changing their oil is an idiot. That's what it's been about the whole time.

Reply to
Joe

The only point is at the top of your head.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher