87 to 67 distributor

my name is jeff. i restored a 67 mustang with a 289/30 over. i want put a

87 5.0 electronic distributor in place of the old points distributor. how do i accomplish this? i would appreicate the intel thanks jeff
Reply to
jeffgrever

You dont, because then you would lose spark advance - you use a Duraspark II dist.. Used in mid 70's to mid eighties small blocks.

You CAN use the TFI coil, however...

here's a good source of info.

Backyard Mechanic

This will keep the stock look to your engine, if that's something you're after.

If I was buying a whole ignition system, I don't think I'd fart around with used parts or even NOS stuff. MSD, Mallory and others can supply you with what you need to make a pretty painless installation...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I went with the Pertronix Ignitor II, which goes inside the stock housing and keeps the original look. VERY easy install - 15 minutes and done. Just a slight wire change. And you can either remove the old wire or leave it in place to keep the original look.

Like the brands mentions, I find it is doing a good job. Some may be better tan Pertronix, but I'm happy with it. I added the Pertronix Flamethrower coil, and an 8 mm wire set to match.

Pertronix and the others do make a complete distributor you can drop in... for a lot more bucks : 0 ) than an upgrade kit.

Reply to
Spike

What's the reason for installing an '87 distributer? If you're going with fuel injection the I'd say yes but if you keep the non-roller cam you'd need to install a cast iron distributer gear on it otherwise your cam will lunch.

Reply to
Mark C.

Reply to
scott and barb

I like that combo myself. I'll recurve the distributer though.

Reply to
Mark C.