'87 water leak question

Due to a few projects inside the garage, I had to park my '87 GT in the driveway. When it rains the passenger rear floor gets very damp and to a lesser extent the passenger front. It has a sunroof that I recently checked for leaks and it's good to go as far as the seals are concerned. I know you guys aren't mind readers but is there a common place I should check for leaks in fox mustangs? Perhaps the cowls are prone to leak and/or maybe the sunroof drain lower hose needs attention, the upper hoses don't leak. any suggestions on where to look?

Reply to
Mark C.

One of the best ways I know to test it is to put someone inside the car and hit it with a high pressure spray. Even a hose with a nozzle on it. YOu may have to run the water wahile for the leak to get bad enough to start dripping in the right place, but if it's from above you should be able to find it.

Or even drive it through one of those touchless car washes. Man, they blow water ALL OVER the inside of my car. So, I stopped using them.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
Reply to
SVTKate

I had a similar problem with my '86 LX. The dew wipes were no longer sealing against the window so water ran off the window and into the inside of the door. The drain holes at the bottom of the door were plugged with dirt and crud so the bottom of the door filled up and spilled over into the passenger area. You may be able to unplug the drain holes by sticking a screwdriver up through them or you may need to remove the door panel to get to whatever is plugging them. does your door make sloshing noises when you open it?

Mr. Bones '86 LX 3.8

Reply to
Mr Bones

No, Mr. Bones, My doors don't slosh. :) But your on the right track. I'll check the drains. Kate, I'll have to do a leak check like you say but I don't think I have any drips from above.

Reply to
Mark C.

Mr. Bones, (Hehe, makes me giggle) I checked the door drains and they're clean as a whistle.

Reply to
Mark C.

I did the old leak check of the sunroof drains, they were good to go. Poured a cup of water into the cowl and what do you know? Leak city. Water was draining from the driver side down underneath the car (like it should) but the pax. side was dry. I took a look in the cabin and there's a small puddle forming in the front right corner of the floor, under the dash. The car was always parked in the driveway so the water would migrate to the back forming a very damp spot. Fortunately there's no corrosion on the floor. I'm in the process of replacing the carpet for other reasons. I'm thinking the cowl drain on the pax. side is clogged or theres a hole or bad seal on the inside of the cowl. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Reply to
Mark C.

Ya done good kid :)

Kate

| > -- | > Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple) | >

| >> -- | >> Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple) | >>

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Thank's, How old are you? :)

Reply to
Mark C.

Mark C. opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Where's that Eddy Murphy chuckle sound file!!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I forgot to add. When I was pulling the carpet, I noticed a little sprout of a weed or something growing in a corner. Perfect conditions for it. Hehe.

Reply to
Mark C.
*EHM* You found a little weed under the carpet?

*WEG* and you didn't dry it out and smoke it?

(snikker, giggle)

Kate

| >> Thank's, How old are you? :) | >>

| > Where's that Eddy Murphy chuckle sound file!! | >

| > -- | > - Yes, I'm a crusty old geezer curmudgeon.. deal with it! - | |

Reply to
SVTKate

No, I found a little weed growing out of the carpet. Lucky me. I may have to pull the whole dash apart to find where the leak is coming from. It's going into the cowl and dripping, or running I should say down the firewall in the right front corner. It's coming from behind the heater plenum. Doh! I guess I needed to replace the heater core anyway. It's clogged up so all I get from the heater is lukewarm air.

Reply to
Mark C.

Mark C. opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Look close around the main (ECM) wiring harness grommet... if it's been out for any reason that often causes these problems.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Doesn't the main ECU harness enter through the firewall? I checked it and theres a crack in the grommet but there's no water coming from it. I'll either have to pull the dash apart or remove the right front fender. I noticed a small crack between the firewall and the right inner fender apron under the hood. There's also another crack and a bit of distortion on the top of the apron more towards the front of the car making me suspect that there's been a fender bender in it's history and it's causing the leak between the cowl and the pax compartment. This is actually a common place for leaks in older mustangs where the factory gunk sealing the cowl starts to crack and allow water into the pax compartment. People often mis-diagnose this as being a leaky widshield seal. I've never pulled a fender on a 5.0. Is it more difficult than removing the dash?

Reply to
Mark C.

Mark C. opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post... why I suggested the grommet.

Depending on rust, etc... the fenders are easy, IMO... just scribe several places and keep {any} shims in order.

Good time to close-inspect your door hinges while you're at it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic