88GT Clutch adjustment questioin, t/o bearing keeps going bad

I obviously do not know how to adjust my clutch setup properly... I am about to tear my tranny out and replace the throw out bearing for the 3rd or

4th time since I have had the car (3 years now).

What happens is I will replace the throw out bearing and then adjust the cable so it is just barely tight against the clutch fork. This leaves just a tad of play in the pedal. Over the span of several months my throw out bearing begins to chirp again, ugh!

I have a Steeda adjustable clutch cable, Steeda firewall adjuster and Steeda double hook quadrant.

What is the process for properly adjusting the clutch cable?

Regards, Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

I have that same problem but i have now just left the bearing in there and it has been chirping for three years now, so i think i may just leave it in there.

Reply to
Bob Sacamano

After mine chirps for a while it begins to cause some sort of vibration. It is as if the bearing is having trouble turning and jams/seizes up that is the best I can describe it. It is pretty scary which is why I need to replace it (again).

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Are you buying a good quality TOB? Do you have a steel bearing retainer? Are you applying grease to the TOB? Ive heard that Ford sells grease especially used for this but those things do fail from time to time but not as many times as yours. Is the clutch fork nice and tight around the TOB?

It sounds like you are adjusting the cable correctly.

Casey

Reply to
David C. Johnson

I have a steel bearing retainer. I have been buying Timken bearings from Autozone but will be going to Ford for my next one. I have been greasing the area that rides on the bearing retainer.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Back this up a tad so the TOB doesn't ride against the pressure plate.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

How do I accomlish this exactly? On previous throw out bearings I have adjusted the cable so there is just a tad of play in cable down where the cable meets the fork. This resulted in a floppy top of my clutch pedal and the bearing still went bad :-/

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill