89 5.0 dies at stop lights

This may be similar to some things that were posted recently, but I'll go ahead and ask anyways....

Had the 89 Mustang (Automatic) out today and had something odd happen. Every time I approached a stoplight and hit the brakes to gently slow down, the engine would die very quietly around 5 mph. Basicly, the tach would continue to drop, right past idle, down to zero. Pop it into N and hit the starter and everything's fine. I could put it right into drive and sit there, waiting for the light, then take off, with no problem. This occured at 5 red lights and one left turn.

I haven't thouroughly tested it, but it appears that if I let off the brake and gave it a few sec to coast between hitting the brakes again, I could stop without this happening. In all other respects, the engine is running just perfectly. Acceleration is smooth, Idle is smooth, etc.

WTF?

Reply to
Brian Bunin

My first thought would be the idle control motor.

Reply to
CCTGENE

Next time this happens, drive it in D instead of OD and see what happens at the next stop.

If all idling, otherwise, is proper it still COULD be the IAC but also sounds like sluggish Torque Converter Clutch release.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

OK, drove it in D, rather than OD today. Problem did not reoccur. So what does that tell us?

Reply to
Brian Bunin

the line directly above..

Make sure you can replicate it, in OD then in D. If it happens again in OD... then you might try a Transmission flush.

Is the fluid burnt smelling or cloudy

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks! Did a tranny flush and it seems OK. The fluid was a touch cloudy and dark, but didn't smell burnt.

Reply to
Brian Bunin

Now check your slip and see if they changed the filter in the trans... if they didnt, go back and have it changed.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic