89 5.0 Pre-purchase questions

Hello All, Looked at an 89 GET 5.0 tonight and have some questions. The clutch needs replaced as it is difficult to get into reverse from a stop, the Speedo doesn't work(odor does), and the fuel gauge doesn't work. What are the costs associated with repairing these flaws? The speedo and fuel gauge I would tackle myself but I'm not to sure about the clutch.

The price so far is $3500, was asking $4000. The body is in decent shape, slight discoloration of the "tape" inside the body molding, gray interior is in good shape and isn't faded, AC works, 125,000 miles, stick, needs tires.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
sixty8kr

Clutch could cost you $300-500. What is kelly blue book value?

Don't kid yourself on the speedo and furl gauge and the costs of fixing.

Dave

'90LX 5.0-original owner--90,000 miles

Reply to
Dave Combs

It's always hard to get the T-5 into reverse, put it up into 5th first then into reverse. Unless the clutch is slipping there's nothing wrong with it.

Need to replace the speedo. The factory unit only goes to 85 so you might as well get a 120 mph replacement.

Most likely the sending unit in the tank.

Not sure about the pricing, someone else will chime in on those.

Reply to
WraithCobra

$74.00 for a new fuel sending unit , you have to drop the tank down to change it.

Speedo doesnt work , odometer does ? Dont see how one can work with out the other. It is a mechanical speedo and odometer driven by the speedo cable. What exactly does the speedo do when you drive the car? Does the needle move any? It is and easy fix. Is it a 140mph speedo. You can buy a whole replacment gauge cluster at a scrap yard or on e-bay. Take the cluster out and take out the speedo mabe something is in a bind , I dont see how the speedo would work. Unless the cable is bad and if the cable was bad then the odometer wouldnt work either. Let me know..

Reply to
Carver

Make sure to check to see if all the body VIN tags are still present. If not, it's likely had repaint or panel replacement.

They should be on the fender, inside the engine compartment in the area where the hood seals, under the hood, on the nose cap, under each door (when open, viewed from the ground), and on the hatch door. I think that's all of them, but it's been a while since I had a Mustang.

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Carver, The odometer works, tenths rolled by when I was driving. The needle stayed at 45 the whole time. The seller stated that there is 2 connections, one for the speedo and for the odo.

Reply to
sixty8kr

Can you be more specific on the don't kid yourself part please?

sixty8kr

That symptom is not a characturistic of a bad clutch. It the clutch needs to be replaced then it will be slipping. That *could* be a symptom of a clutch cable that needs to be replaced and that isn't too bad.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

but it's been a while since I had a Mustang.

Yeah, something that needs to be taken care of.... :-p

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

That's not true, I've been back there. Make sure you aren't using the wrong word, ie: tachometer rather than odometer. If the odo works and not the MPH needle then it could be warped plastic that the needle is dragging on.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

If someone will pay me what I owe on my Ranger (with a $4700 new longblock), then I'd look into getting one.

Or that could be rephrased... not happening for a while.

I'd love to have another 5.0 notch for a daily driver, since it would spend about 12 hours/day sitting in a Park n Ride lot anyhow.

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Or as was earlier mentioned, they just don't go in smoothly. I always used to put it into forward gear (1st or 5th, can't remember) prior to putting it into reverse. That was in three different 5.0's.

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

The guy that told you that there are two connections is wrong. There is one cable that connects to the transmission speed sensor. The cable runs up and in through the firewall right next to the cluch cable to the back of your Gauge Cluster. The cable drives both the MPH Needle and the Odometer. It is all connected together . If the needle stays around the 45MPH mark then there is something that may have it in a bind. Pull the cluster bezel off and remove the clear plastic gauge cover. You will need a tourques bit screwdriver (star bit) . with out removing the gauge cluster wiggle the needle around wile you drive around the block see if it frees it up. If not you will have to pull the cluster apart and possibly replace the speedo. If it was an 89MPH Speedo I would send you one, I have a bunch that I replaced with 140's .

Reply to
Carver

sixty8kr opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

good thing i read thru all the replies.

i ditto every one that replied encouragingly.

clusters are cheap, speedo/odo is one assy, run from same cable;

gas gauge could be the sender but may not, used cluster will answer 1/3 of the troubleshooting prob.

about 95 5 of t-5 trannies exhibit this problem.. just go into the closest adjacent forward gear, (5th), then reverse...it becomes second nature after while. But it wouldnt hurt to plan to replace clutch cable and quadrant

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic