'89 door top trim

Hi

On my '89 2dr hatchback there are these metal trim moldings on the outside top of both doors. On mine there used to be some sort of black plastic finish on them. This plastic has deteriorated and I peeled it off on the worst side. What is left looks to be a standard aluminum trim that I was thinking of painting. It would make painting easier if I could get the trim pieces off. What sort of tool do I need?

Thanks Fred

89 LX 5.0 Hatchback
Reply to
Fred

I guess not too many here know about these things. I'll see what I can find on google

Fred

Reply to
Fred

If I remember correctly, I think there is a screw securing the trim piece on one end and it clips into place otherwise. I painted mine before they were too far gone along with the middle trim pieces and the quarter glass trim. They have held up well but I keep the car in a garage too.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Hi Mike

Thanks for the tip. I will look for a screw before I start prying on it! The other trim pieces are also very rough. I would have to either get them off and sand down the plastic, peel off the rough plastic, or paint them in place.

Mine has never been garaged. :(

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Fred, one trick I used that seems to have worked well is to use a clear coat aerosol primer first. I would sand the trim finish then spray a coat of clear primer then repeat as needed until there was a smooth finish. I did this with all the trim pieces. I never removed the particles from sanding because it filled the pits and the primer would locked it in place. You can do this using finer and finer sand paper and end up with a very smooth finish for painting. This also builds up the finish on the trim to make it look more like a new stock piece and it makes the trim pieces match better, IMO.

You can also use the same technique for the quarter w> Hi Mike

Reply to
Michael Johnson