89 GT Help with vibration?

Hey, guys,

Hoping someone can identify this problem...

When I'm on the freeway going over 60, if I let off the throttle, the car vibrates really bad (getting worse). The faster I go, the more violent the shake gets, at 90 MPH it's almost bad enough that I cant find 5th gear. The shifter is really rattling around at that point. The vibration is higher pitched the faster you go. If I apply the gas in gear, or if there is any load on the drivetrain, the vibration almost stops completely.

Any ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Matt

Reply to
Matt
** Hoping someone can identify this problem...

I'd bet $100 on the Driveshaft U-joints. Put that thing on a lift and check it out now, before it takes a complete dump on you.

Reply to
JD Adams

Could be a couple of things. Worst case scenario is the rear end is ceasing. Best case is your universal joints are going.

Reply to
Mr. Ford

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

You ever have one of the days JD were you really feel like someone, somewhere is trying to yank yer chain? LOL

I asked this question in here not to long ago....I have the same year Mustang GT, same exact problems...and my wife's brother just happens to be named Matt.

Sometimes....I don't know. Weird is all, just plain weird.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I can completely agree with JD. I just changed out my front U-Joint and it was an absolute pleasure to drive once it was done.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper
** You ever have one of the days JD were you really feel like someone, ** somewhere is trying to yank yer chain? LOL

I had one of those moments once. Her name was Valerie. Her brother was named JD, and she owned a crappy old Dodge Dart, same as I did at the time. And she had hair in all the wrong places, like...uh,...ummm...nevermind.

Reply to
JD Adams

Hmm... Those aren't too expensive, either. Do you know if they are an easy swap, or will there be problems getting everything back together? How can I check to see if they are bad?

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Reply to