89 GT monster mods

I just got a beauty 89 GT 5spd. Its got 150k on it and wanna just swap it out. Brainstorming ideas of what to do. Since Im gonna get a different shortblock and spending the money I figured why not just get a 408W stroker? The only things Im worried about are compatibility issues. It has an aftermarket cervinis cobra type hood on it with about an extra inch of clearance. But with a Windsor what kind of intake options do I have? Will it take any EFI intake that would go on a 5.0 ?? Would the computer need to be replaced or reprogrammed? As far as I know the 5.0 and Windsor have the same tranny bolt patterns and same engine mounts.

And then later on would supercharge it. Dream complete.

Informed opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

The 351W will bolt in place of the 302W. Motor mounts and trans are the same. Headers are available, but it's a tight fit and kind of a bear to work on. The

8.8 diff will withstand a lot of power. Engine weights are close enough to not be an issue.

But here are some other things to keep in mind:

- Front accessory brackets are differant.

- You'll need a bigger radiator.

- You'll have to rework the suspension and brakes to handle the power.

- The stock T5 has to go. You'll need a TKO 500 or 600.

- An auto trans will work great, but needs to be seriously beefed up.

- Any intake big enough to feed 408 cubes at 6,500 rpm's won't fit under your hood.

- Stock computer can be made to work with something like a Tweecer.

- It won't pass emissions.

- It would suck fuel like there's a hole in the tank.

- It would be real fun to build.

- It would be really cool to drive.

Have you considered a well built 347? 400+hp without a blower is fairly common.

Reply to
.boB

A 408 stroker seems a bit ambitious unless you want to throw a lot of money at the transmission (TKO) and the rear-end as well as the engine. A much easier/cheaper swap would be something like a marine 351w crate engine which is almost a bolt-on affair and produces about 340-350hp out of the box. Throw a supercharger on that and you're up to 500hp-ish (and probably back to doing the tranny and rear again). The Mustangs are quite cheap to do 300-400hp, but after that, things start to add up quickly.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

wrote

Same mounts and if you could get ahold of a Lightning lower intake manifold and EEC that would be the way to go. NO the manifolds are NOT interchangeable. The 351W is an inch wider. Just go to the local Checker/Schucks/Kragen speed shop and look at them on the wall. You can tell just by looking at them the 351 is wider than the 289/302.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno