'89 LX Convertable windows qustion...

Does anyone know where I can find documentation on how to access the motors and things for the rear windows on the car(1989 LX Convertible)? The motors work, but something's come loose or has broken/been stripped and I need to check it out(mainly because I don't have the cash to pay someone to do it).

Just wondering. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Lord Blue

I own an 88GT Convetible and have accessed the window motors several times.

You need to remove the rear quarter panel, the entire thing.. I find it easier to remove the bottom seat cushion first. Usually you can push it down and back towards the rear of the car then lift up to get it out. Then there are several screws holding the rear quarter panel in but I believe they are all visable. After unscrewing them it should simply lift out. There will be a plastic service panel hiding the window motor. Remove it and you have easy access to the window motor.

I believe the window motors have plastic gears in them which tend to break (they did on all 4 of my windows) you can purchase metal gear replacements. I purchased all my window motors from Musttanguy and have had wonderful luck with them. I'd say get in contact with him. His website is

Regards, Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Maybe Andy's vert is different then mine but to get to my rear window motor I...

... take out the seat cushion ... take out the seat back. There are two screws at the bottom hidden behind/under the bottom of the seat back. Then the seat back slides down to unhook from the hold down on the top. ... remove the screws that hold the armrest/side cover in place. There's one behind where the seat back was (maybe you can get to it without removing the seat back if you can find it) and a couple more you can see including at least one where the seat belt enters (I think). ... You can pull the armrest thing out enough to see the motor. THere are three screws holding it in place. Remove them and the motor comes right out. You can get a rebuilt motor from a place in florida for about $55

or you can buy arebuild kit for about $10. I tried a kit once and it only lasted 6months. Last time I bought a rebuilt motor. They claim they use moredurable nylon gizmos.----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Thanks for the info!

replacements.

Reply to
Lord Blue

To do this you will have to remove the motor. The gear that typically breaks is inside the motor. You'll have to remove it and take it apart to get to the gear.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill