9" Rearend Info needed

"Katmandu" wrote in a message:

Put a mark on the tire, and on the driveshaft, or the yoke, and count the number of revolutions the driveshaft makes to 1 revolution of the tire. The driveshaft will turn slightly less than 4 turns to one turn of the tire if they are 3.91's. To check for a locker, with both tires off the ground, turn one tire, and watch the other one. Both tires should turn in the same direction. Also, when driving the car, when making a relatively hard turn, you will hear a clicking noise coming from the rear end. Hope this helps.

Reply to
GEB

I have a 9" rearend (in another vehicle of mine) that does NOT have a Tag or any other ID on it. I was told it was a 3.91 gear set, but I'm not sure.

Can someone explain how to determine what gear set is in it and if it's a Locker or not.

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

--->> FOR SALE

Reply to
Katmandu

Actually, I did do a preliminary check a few weeks ago....

The driveshaft test yield slightly less the (2) Turns of the Driveshaft Vs (1) Tire rotation. Yes (2). ????

Also, when I turned the one tire, the other didn't move (if I remember correctly). I'll have to jack the car up again and re-do this test.

As for driving it, it currently has NO drivetrain. :>(

Reply to
Katmandu

Why would the driveshaft only yield LESS than (2) Full rotations ??

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

--->> FOR SALE get an accurate rotation. Sounds like an open rear, non posi/locker.

Reply to
Katmandu