90 LX 5.0 Auto Convertable-help

Ok I just bought it in the fall and loving it supposed to have only

86,000 but I have concerns. I have had 5.0 GTs with 5 speeds and loved them. Very Fast no parts needed unles you wanted to go faster. Why is a automatic so damm slow. I am not very mechanically inclined as far as computers go but I want to boost the power. I need some easy tips I can try to do so. I have already added Flow Masters although not a H pipe yet. The car is very slugish like it is not getting enough fuel. I took it to auto parts place and they said either full pump , filter or relay switch under the hood. I replaced filter it helped for a few days but was having problem again before I threw the cover on her for the winter. Is replacing pump hard or would it be better to take her to a shop. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Gary

I replaced the fuel pump myself at home with average hand tools. 4 times in 4 years! I bought a $70 Checker lietime warranty pump (I'm keeping the car) rather than spend $200 from Ford (no warranty). Every year since I had problems when it got hot out (110 here in Phoenix).

The last time, this past summer, was just too much (and it was about

115 that day). I brought it to Ford and had it done. It has run great since.

I would think if your relay went, you would have no fuel pressure at all. Take all the normal precautions (jack stands, run the fuel as low as possible, no smoking, assistant..etc). If you haven't, get a shop manual or CD. Oh, spemd the $10~15 and replace the rubber gaskets on all the tank openings. I replaced the pump the second time and failed emmisions for an small air leak in the vapor system. So a week later I had to pull the tank again to replace all the rubber!

Hank Phoenix '89 ASC #176 '87 ASC #134 '85 GT all stock (27k miles)

Reply to
Hank