91 2.3L mustang steering problems

I have had problems with my steering since it got cold this winter. I checked the power steering fluid and it's fine. But when I'm driving it feels like I have no power steering at all, then every once and a while it will kick in at the worst moment, like around a sharp corner. So I'm turning the wheel as hard as I can with both hands, then all the sudden it decides to become real lose and I oversteer. I'm gettting king of used to it but it's probably a problem that needs addressed. The power steering pump isn't leaking, and I don't know how to tell if it's gone bad or not. Well, I guess I could assume it's bad since I don't have power steering, I don't know. Anyway, if anybody knows anything I could do diagnostically or any way to fix it I'd appreciate it. I can't afford a mechanic, but I'm pretty good with tools, as long as I know what I'm doing. That's why I'm here asking for advice. Tell me what to fix, how to fix it, and I can do it. So...if anybody has any ideas or answers I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Reply to
jhvw2000