91 'stang question...

Hello group! I posted a couple times in alt.autos.ford, someone advised me to check this group (didn't know it existed).

I have a 91 mustang gt 5.0 convertible 136k mi.

I have neglected this car for over a year (stuff breaks; oh well, whatever) I was planning on getting a new(er) car THEN and trading this in... BUT, I've gotten attached to it! It's friggn sweet, looks awesome, I know it's going to last me another 60k (nock on wood) I see them on the road all the time, good sign. Plus the fact my credit is shot, & would I would NEVER be approved for any loan(s)...

A piece of the convertible structure is broken. long story short: Over a year ago, I tried putting the top up, wouldn't lock (on the passenger side).. It took 3 of us + a sledge hammer to budge it (lock it down). CRACK! I broke & bent a part of the structure. I then realized afterwards what I did, could of easily been avoided. live and learn. Since then, I haven't really put the top down much (maybee 5x in the last year). When I do, I can put it back up and with the help of another person I can latch it. By help I mean; One pushes, I pull & lock. Not exactly ideal, but it kind of worked. There is so much stress on the passenger side that I have a HUGE crack in my windshield. It's maintained though, hasn't "grown" in 7 months or so.

Because the weather has been so nice lately I've been putting the top down almost daily, BUT, now I can't latch the right side what so ever. It's shot to shit. I'm forced to drive with the top down, or with the left hand side latched, and my right hand holding the right part of the roof. Doh!

I did my homework; brought it to a upholstery place, called junk yards, check used-parts online, all the mustang sites, no luck! The upholstery place said they *could* fix it, but, could not locate the part I need, they can not weld it because it's not the right type of metal to be welded, or something. I don't remember the specifics.

Sorry for the long story, On with the question: Has anyone ever converted this type of car to a hard-top/permenant top? Is there a kit out there? How much $$$? I'm not really mechanically inclined when it comes to engines/cars and what not, electrical is my only strong suit. So, I'm not really sure where to go next.

I am located in Orlando, FL...

Btw: I've been to sites like stangparts.com looking for a replacement & my only option it seems is to purchase the whole entire metal structure for >$500... I figure after shipping, having someone install it, as well as a NEW top (current has holes) it's going to cost me at least $1200. So, I figure it would cost me the same to have a hard top installed (if possible). Rainy season is coming up quickly, have to get this done..

TIA! ~Paul

Reply to
--= PauLy =--

There is a guy parting out a conv on e-bay. I am looking for a rt rear quarter window. He just started taking it apart. You may contact him and get it cheep. Search under rear window motor you'll find it.

Reply to
Hooked