92 automatic transmissions 4 cylinder

ok I am adopted into the Ford Mustang family after years of Italian 4 cylinder sports cars.. got tired of always working on em.. I bought a cute 92 coupe for my 16 yr old son good price looks good sounds good and ran good.. about 2 weeks later the tranny went out.. got a used one.. it too is starting to go out.. then I picked up a 92 convertible for pennies.. it looks good and runs real well.. but now the reverse is starting to slip and it doesnt like to shift from 3rd to 4th ..

the local trans shops are telling me the fords autos dont last very long// is this right? and any ideas out there ( I am being told about 1400 bucks to rebuild) sheesh !!

Reply to
WarbirdAL

WarbirdAL opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com:

Early '90s transmissions did indeed have a problem, with the 1st gear accumulator.... but, for you to have THREE go out in a matter of weeks or months, sounds a little fishy to me.

Not accusing anyone of anything, but I'd suggest you find out from the "shops" exactly what they think these issues are.

-Usual warnings about checking fluid for clarity, burnt smell and all that!-

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic