92 GT Vert as daily driver?

I have a 92 GT Vert manual (107K miles) as my daily driver, but I have never owned a car this old and my wife and friends are encouraging me to sell it.

How much longer can I realistically plan to drive this car as my primary transportation? What are the best strategies and steps to keep the car going reliably?

I change the oil every 3 months, and the car drives fine right now. The problems have been in replacing things that go bad. The original starter lasted 9 years, but the two replacements (done by two separate mechanics) have lasted 2 years each. I have had similar problems with other items, such as the alternator and clutch--the original equipment lasted a lot longer than the replacement (except for the tires).

My modifications to the car have been subframe connectors, strut tower brace, relocation of the battery to the trunk, 3.55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, and Global West lower rear control arms.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Reply to
johnpagenola

I drove my 88 to over 166K and then it got totaled or I'd still be driving it. My S-10 it at 164K and shares daily driver duties. We drive vehicles at work all over the state at high speed even with over

200K on them with no more problems then we have on new cars as long as the operators get the broken stuff fixed when it breaks. Realistically, there is no reason why a well maintained vehicle can't be a daily driver, road trip car, or whatever you want it to be if you keep up with the maintenance. The best strategy IMHO is to simply fix EVERYTHING, unless it's really just an expensive but un-needed item, as soon as it breaks. And replace all the belts, hoses, and other wear items at reasonable intervals so they don't break and leave you stranded.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I've been using my 88GT 'vert as a daily driver since I bought it new. The car currently has over 255 thousand miles on it and still runs reliably. As for your problems with replacement parts failing so quickly after replacement, that just seems to be the way of the world. I worked around the problem by having my stock pieces rebuilt at the local auto-electric shop. I don't have that many years on the rebuilt parts yet so I don't know if they will last any longer than the over the counter rebuilds you get from the auto parts store or not.

Reply to
KEITH MCCUMBER

Bottom Line: Unless you do your OWN maintenance and less-involved repairs, your friends and family are right!

Plastic/rubber components have an age-by life which has little to do with miles put on the clock. If you are intimately familiar with all your vehicle's creaks groans and idiosynchracies, you can afford to keep it and it will be fairly reliable because you'll see, hear and feel problems before they get to the stage of "QUIT".

But, even if you do, it's not practical to make it your sole source of transport, if you have to take it to the shop for repairs.

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Are they going to be making the payments on the new vehicle? Or does your wife have some other nefarious plan in mind like replace it with a mini-van?

Theoretically indefinitely as long as you are willing to make the repairs as they are needed. Although I can understand your angst about continuing to make the same repair over & over. What kind of parts are going in when you replace things? Are they FoMoCo parts or OEM aftermarket from a parts store? Some chain parts stores offer lifetime warranties on the parts they sell, yeah I know your still on the nut for labor if you aren't doing the work yourself.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

They're probably right, the car will self-destruct anytime. I'll give you $100 for it, just to spare you the agrevation of having it die on you on your way to work...

Reply to
Joe St. Lucas

'93 GT convertible here... about the same mileage.

It's a toss-up, really. My wife pays $329/month for the privilege of leasing a new car every two years. For her, it makes sense and I insist on it.

If I spent $329/month on my '93 convertible, it would be in fantastic condition today. As it is, I try to stay on top of things as they happen, and upgrade where prudent. At the end of the year, I've spent far less than $329/month on my '93. What makes it seem a hardship is that, instead of consistent payments per month, I usually get a big repair bill every once in a while. (You'd think by now that we'd be planning ahead for these contingencies...)

But, yes, it seems that there's always something that needs fixing and my wife is forever asking me to unload my twin '93s.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Just tell her, you're seriously thinking about it... would give you MORE time to watch hockey, WWE or the "Wild on.." series on E!

Whichever she despises most...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic