93 cobra just might be sold... :' (

well my cobra I posted a week or so ago may just be sold tonight. A guy is seeking bank financing and if that doesn't pan out, he will have his brother's money. I know you are all kicking me in the a$$ I miss it already and it is still in my garage. Basically, the reason I am selling is that I am starting to get nervous about replacement parts. It's over 10 years old and my local Ford dealer doesn't carry parts anymore.. I had to replace the tail lense only and it cost me $200. My thought is to sit a few years without one and then buy a used 2003.. I'll nearly double the horsepower, right ?

dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave,

I have an '84 Stang " charlene" and parts are not all that hard to come by, but if you feel that it would be in your best interest to get rid of her...then by all means do so. But I DO GUARANTEE you that within a few weeks you will be going nuts and then you will start contemplating your decision...........you are alot stronger than I if you do sell. I could not, nor I would not sell "charlene"....and I have a baby on the way!!!!!

Good luck Bro

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Just a couple that appear from a google search on 'ford parts'. Of course, you could always trade that 93 in for an '03-'04. :)

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

'93 Snake lenses are a little pricey.

-- Paul Black '93 Cobra #2214 Borla Catback, Pro 5.0, K&N, 3.73 Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Jet-hot BBK shorties, Steeda subframe connectors

Reply to
paul-1993

Hey Dave, word of advice.. either get a 5.0 or jump over to the '03.

more 'mod-ability'

Kate

| > > Say what??? All the local dealers here can get most anything I | > > want for my 89 and I just bought two tail light lenses from 50 Resto | > > for, I think it was $109 each. | >

| > '93 Snake lenses are a little pricey. | >

| > -- | > Paul | > Black '93 Cobra #2214 | > Borla Catback, Pro 5.0, K&N, 3.73 | > Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Jet-hot BBK | > shorties, Steeda subframe connectors | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

He's already got the greatest 5.0, IMO. I'd stick with the '93 Cobra.

-- Paul Black '93 Cobra #2214 Borla Catback, Pro 5.0, K&N, 3.73 Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Jet-hot BBK shorties, Steeda subframe connectors

Reply to
paul-1993

I second that. '93 Cobras in good condition are great. I'd like to have one to compliment my '97 Cobra, but I'm not quite that rich. ;-) Unless the OP wants an '88 5.0 5-speed LX notchback with 73k miles and no options, plus a beat up '89 Probe GT Turbo 5-speed as an even swap....

JS

Reply to
JS

I would too... It would be soooo easy to : (enter your mod list here) ___ _________________________ (and here) ____________________ ____________________________ ____________________________ ____________________________ ____________________________ ____________________________ and so on!

I was really disappointed when I started researching a supercharger on mine.

Kate

| > more 'mod-ability' | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

JS,

Tell me more about your LX. Where do you live? FYI - My Cobra now has about 78,000.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Considering the length of this reply, I'm sure you could guess I'm interested. ;-)

Stone stock save for Flowmaster 2-chamber cat back (because I had it laying around) and a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter ( because I like my Cobra's so much).

73,100 miles, purchased from the original owner, a professor of physics at the University of Virginia. Car is a Virginia car and has been until a few months ago. Fixed a charging issue which turned out to be a bad ground. Needs a coolant temp sensor. Was just tuned up with Autolite plugs, Motorcraft wires, PCV valve, Castrol GTX oil + Motorcraft filter, fuel filter, Bosch oxygen sensors. The paper air filter looked brand new. I removed the air silencer and bumped the timing up to about 14 degrees.

The paint is peeling and there's a dent in the fender and the bumper cover has a couple of holes in it. I have a spare bumper cover and fender, but they're black and the car's blue.

The car has been repainted once due to delamination of the clear coat, and it's happening again.

Underneath, the body is very clean. Probably shinier than the topside.

It does leak a small amout of oil but I'm not sure from where. It was leaking ATF from the T-5 but it was a shifter seal problem from the factory that I've since remedied with the Tri-Ax.

It came from the factory devoid of power windows, power locks, power mirrors (didn't even know that was an option), tilt wheel, and radio. A radio's since been added. The A/C was converted to 134a and still functions.

The interior is in good shape. Right now it's housing some '84-'86 GT seats but they aren't mine, so I don't think they can go with the car.

The clutch is original and catches *very* low... low enough to sometimes make shifting a pain. It's also one of the stiffest clutches I've driven in quite some time.

Runs very strong considering the 2.73 rear end killer. The traction-loc still works as it wants to break the tires loose fairly easily. I have a harder time keeping the back end of this thing on the ground than my '97 snake.

I have a set of Saleen bolt/weld on subframe connectors that will fit the car, but not yet installed.

Just installed new headlight lenses, but I broke one of the outer ledges of the one, and one of the headlights already dropped the reflector inside the lens. Wonderful 5.0 resto pieces.

I realize that even the car + the Probe isn't worth an even swap for a '93 Cobra... but if someone's interested, lol.. always willing to deal. I'll even throw in a functional '85 Mustang GT with a good chassis, 75,000 original miles and an very sweet (though oddly colored Sand Beige) interior. CFI/AOD w/ sunroof, non-functional A/C, manual windows + locks, tilt, cruise, new hood sticker in Ford box, '87 GT wing available w/o brakelight. I have other parts available as well... Trick Flow Track Heat upper + lower for a 302, with 70MM Edelbrock/BBK TB and EGR spacer (Track Heat intake port is 75mm), BBK adjustable fuel pressure regulator with valve (will not fit stock intake setup)

The Probe's beat up, but it runs. Currently it needs back brakes, and I don't know *when* it had a timing belt, if ever, so at 118,000 miles, it needs one. The shifter is a short-throw and it needs lubricated something fierce because after a few shifts it stiffens up so bad that it's nearly impossible to shift. The turbo still spools up just fine. It's been banged up a few times, the paint's kinda dull, and the interior is red, but it's mostly there. Fun little car to drive and goes well in snow. More chassis rigidity and better handling than any Fox I've ever driven, and both the LX and GT have *very* stiff suspension. Cross railroad tracks and speed bumps at your own caution.

If you (or anyone else you know with a Cobra in good condition) are interested in a trade, I'd be interested. I don't have much cash to throw around though, so it would have to be mostly parts and cars.

I live 20 miles NE of Pittsburgh, PA, but I'm not opposed to travelling. Then again, transporting three cars somewhere could be interesting.

JS

Reply to
JS

I believe they are the same as 85-86 lenses, $80 each in my catalog.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

More pricey than a set of 87-93 LX lenses.

Reply to
paul-1993

It has air conditioning though. I really don't care for A/C. It's interesting that the car is from VA. That's where I bought my old no-option LX back in '87. I bought it at Williamsburg Ford. Special ordered it, actually.

I don't know... I'd have to see/touch/drive the car. PA is a bit of the hike from Florida, or vise versa. If your car was only and hour or so away, I'd go and look at it, and we'd talk. But as it is, I know my Cobra. I'd hate to arrange a meeting and then have the deal fall through. You know what I mean?

Right now, the Cobra only needs a brake job. I just deal with the crappy power leather seats, power windows/locks, and the lump weight under the hood they call an A/C unit. The only other annoyances it has is the sunroof and the ground effects. But other than that, it's a great car. It runs hard and has some serious stick in the corners. I'll probably hold onto it for a while, unless something realy interesting comes along that I just have to have. But in a few years I'll get serious about finding something newer. There's lot of neat cars being built now and in the next few years.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
Patrick

I'm not a big fan of the air conditioning, and if I keep the car, it's the first weight reduction that's going to be done to the car. Soon. The only time it's been nice is recently while we've had all of our continuous rain and humidity weather.

I'm a rather adventurous sort though and have driven long distances for less. Actually, my grandmother lives in Cocoa Beach but I don't think I'll be down that direction until April. My cousin in Florida is getting married at the end of April some time... 24th perhaps... and I'll be there. The LX won't be driven this winter. It could make the trip down no problem. I was planning on flying, but.... ya know how plans go.

I could, however, probably swing a long weekend in a month or two. My brother should have his new orders in and he'll be stationed near Charleston, SC. I don't know how far into FL you are, but it's a lot closer than PA, or even meeting halfway most likely.

I wouldn't want you to take a car you couldn't drive, nor would I want to do the same.

I can tell you flat out that unless a speed density notchback LX with some cosmetic problems is what you're seriously looking for, it's not even remotely worth your Cobra (if it's in any kind of decent condition at all) in an even trade, or even one with some parts/cash thrown in. However, if that *is* the car that you're looking for, this notch won't disappoint. It runs great for 2.73's. I was supposed to go to the strip on Thursday but we were rained out. I've been under it putting the Flowmasters on (which with the stock H-pipe and headers don't drone nearly as bad as they did with the Mac 2-cat H-pipe + headers, which are also available), and it's nice on the bottom. No rotting on the doors or trunk that I've seen. 73k miles on it, and with the tune-up done, it runs like I figure it would have on day 1. The brakes are standard 1988 fare, but they work well, no pulsing, squealing, etc. Door pins are fine. Steering is tight. A couple of squeaks and rattles here and there, but PA roads are miserable.

The only issue I've noted is that it seems like it might need a heater core. Every now and then on a cool morning it'll have a little whisp of something on the windshield that doesn't readily come off. I'm not sure if it's the A/C or heater core. I don't mind changing out the core, but then I'll have to discharge the A/C unit, which I'll then want to rip off and put the eliminator bracket on. It would probably be at this time that the radio would be removed and the radio delete plate (which was still in the car) would be reinstalled.

I'm still relatively interested. If not my LX + GT, I could probably swing the LX and a relatively small amount of cash (the couple grand max I could get for the GT). I really like '93 Cobras... just finding one that someone wants to part with and that I can even remotely afford at this time is hard. If you're willing to deal, either now or in the future at some point, I'd be interested.

If you wish to carry this over to a more private discussion, my e-mail address is

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.bellatlantic.net removing the "nospam."

JS

Reply to
JS

He's talking about his notchback. We understand what the car is.

Reply to
paul-1993

See, I have a '97 Cobra and it's relatively stock (save for the wheels and shifter).. but I'm kinda torn about what to do with it. I'd like to modify the suspension to handle better. I have subframe connectors slated to be welded on to improve chassis rigidity. I have some racing seats that are either going in there or in the LX. I don't much care for the stock Cobra seats.

How far do I go with modifying this car? If I'm going to keep it forever, does it matter? If I'm going to sell it, should I just do things to it that can be redone (i.e. - not put in a roll cage). I'd like the car to handle better. I want my LX to be the fast-in-a-straight-line car, and the Cobra to be the fast-in-the-twisties car. If I could acquire the '93 Cobra, I'd need another fast-in-a-straight-line car, but it's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make.

I personally think that the car is what it is, but you might as well make the car the way you like it. The '97 Cobra is a fine car, and it will probably be worth some money (maybe not quite what the '93 will), but why not make it do what I want it to do?

JS

Reply to
JS