93 GT front rotors recommendations

Anyone have any recommendations on replacement front rotors? I am looking at drilled and/or slotted aftermarket and best pads to match.

Reply to
Fixing Stuff

Drilled and slotted are for Bling only. They will actually reduce braking performance. But if you must have them, look at companies like Brembo and Wilwood for a quality part. For pads, I'm partial to Hawk HP+ for the street, Porterfield R4 on the track.

Reply to
.boB

I have cryo treated rotors on my '89 LX that work very well. Here's a link:

Michael Johnson, PE

" Drilled and slotted are for Bling only. They will actually reduce braking performance." That's interesting... everything I have read says they will reduce heat and improve braking. I'm not into the bling factor, I want better working and longer lasting brakes. Guess it's time for more research. Does Willwood make street parts? I thought they were drag race only. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Fixing Stuff

Thanks for the reply. The link does not seem to work, I'll google it.

Reply to
Fixing Stuff

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

definitely drilled rotors reduce braking. If you really want great performance put larger calipers and pads on it along with larger rotors, and wheels the cross drilled rotors chew away at the brake pad and really do nothing practical for a car except maybe look cool. Personally I like safe much better than cool.

Reply to
L benn

Yes, that statement is often contrary to what people believe. They often point to the high end Porsche as an example. Ever priced a porsche brake rotor? Drilled/slotted rotors work great on a race car. But they beat the crap out of their brakes, and use rotors that cost hundreds of dollars each. They also replace the rotors after one race week end (or less). Brakes work by converting rotational energy into heat energy. More contact area = more heat, which means the brakes work better. Holes and slots will decrease surface area, and braking efficiency. You can use drilled rotors if you really think you need that much brake cooling. But you'll need to increase the size of the rotor to compensate. It's cheaper, easier, and lighter to add cooling ducts. Go to the Bear Brakes and Willwood Brakes web site. Go read the FAQ page, and see what the pros say.

Reply to
.boB

"Fixing Stuff" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Been using PowerSlots with Hawk pads for years. Great performance for OEM replacement.

Joe

Absolutely. I'm there.

Very first upgrade I ever did on any automobile was to trash the stock rotors on the '93 LX and throw on a pair of PowerSlots. An amazing and very satisfying difference.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Very good info. Thanks.

Reply to
Fixing Stuff

Good info... What I need is a good performing, safe brake. The only reason I need replacement is that my originals are too thin for to machine again and warped. thanks.

Reply to
Fixing Stuff

I run my Cobra on the road course pretty regularly. I beat the crap out of the brakes lap after lap. I use stock Ford SVO calipers in the front, and stock Ford T-Bird calipers in the rear. The rotors are solid stock replacement. On the street I use Hawk HP+ pads front and rear. I got it all from

This is an excellent performing brake system. Hot or cold, braking is excellent, quiet, and consistant.

For your car I would go to Autozone or NAPA and get a stock replacement, or contact discbrakesrus and have them delivered.

Reply to
.boB