93 LX 5.0 exhaust replacement cost

I got this car and it needs the exhaust from the Cat back how much am I looking at paying for this to get installed?

Reply to
Pat_RI

Install it yourself & save a bundle of cash. You didn't tell us what you were looking for in an exhaust though...

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
Pat_RI

Are you looking for a "toned down/quiet" sound? Or a loud "bassy rumble"? Also, what's your budget?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
Pat_RI

Why would you replace it with stock? Is the current one that rotted away or something? Hm... Tell the shop that you want something that sounds close to stock & expect to pay $200~$250 for the catback + labor. My local shop charges $45/hr labor... takes about 45 mins to install (but they charge for an hour obviously).

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
Pat_RI

$300 seems a bit low for a complete cat-back for a '93. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess around $350 or $400, maybe more if you go with name-brand stuff. Just a hunch FWIW..

Call some shops and get a few quotes. Also, call your local Ford dealer to see what the "high" estimate would be.

"Pat_RI" wrote in news:g52Cd.6780$Tf5.4536@lakeread03:

Reply to
Joe

Eh.. to be safe, $350.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
Pat_RI

Call around & see what they're charging. Let them know you don't need anything high-end.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

For my '93 LX 5.0, I went with the Dynomax Ultraflow exhaust kit ($449.95 at Mustangs Unlimited). Cost me $65.00 to have them installed.

For my '93 GT 5.0, I went Dynomax Super Turbo (a little louder, but the turn-down exhaust tips make it sound just fine) - $179.95 at Mustangs Unlimited. These cost me $60.00 to have installed.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Midas has application specific performance turbo's just for the Mustang. Be prepared to pay over $500 for the pipes and everything else. You should be wary of most other aftermarket systems, Mustangs have a tendency to drone right at their cruising RPM with many of these so called performance mufflers. The factory avoided this problem by staggering the size of the two mufflers and keeping the pipes to a 2.25 inch diameter.

Reply to
ironrod

Anybody that recommends Midas loses ALL respect from me.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Anybody who routinely spouts "LOL" to 3 out of 4 messages on this newsgroup never had my respect.

| |

Reply to
aay toozee

That's fine. I don't know you... nor do I desire your respect. Btw.. LOL!!!!!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

I wasn't born this smart, I had to learn just like you will. I started with

2 1/2 inch Flowmaster 3 chamber cat backs which were fine as long as you didn't ask the car to do any work, like go up a hill, let me tell you the "strong aggressive tone" they brag about is enough to make your brain dissolve after listen to them for several hours on a long sustained uphill grade. I endured listening to the damn things on the climb from Sacramento to Reno once, as soon as I was up enough at the tables I excused my self went to the nearest Muffler shop and had the damn things cut off. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of the need for two different size mufflers so the turbo's I replaced them with, while quieter still droned. Later I went to Midas, explained my problem and had them hook me up with the Mustang turbo mufflers, drone went away, and the engine got back a ton of low end torque I didn't even know I was missing. For all the hype about the latest break through giving you all this extra horsepower for free, you are much better advised to go with the established performers like Midas because they know what really works.

Reply to
ironrod

You, my friend, are a moron LOL. Sorry, truth hurts I know... but *jeez*. You gained back TONS of torque from a muffler swap? Bullshit. All in your mind. And as far as Flowmaster droning... damn right they do ('cept Deltaflows are less prone to droning, no?) and I love every bit of it. *YOU* can stick to your crapass Midas, but don't refer others to a troublesome company.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

A good friend of mine always likes to remind me not to argue with a fool, 'cause after the first 5 minutes the bystanders can't tell the difference, so this will be my last post on this thread.

As any of the real experts in this newsgroup can tell you, if you open up your exhaust system too much you lose power on the bottom end. There are any number of test articles in the Mustang rags that prove this, as well as my own personal experience.

Reply to
ironrod

snip

Why is bottom end power lost when the exhaust restrictions are reduced too much?

Reply to
John