93 Mustang tach shows 2000 rpm at idle. seems like 2000 rpm is the new zero???

All,

93 Mustang tach shows 2000 rpm at idle. seems like 2000 rpm is the new zero???Any ideas. thx
Reply to
remove

remove wrote in news:gTiZe.5208$eB3.572 @bignews3.bellsouth.net:

Go to junkyard, get complete cluster, take out your cluster, replace tach part, only.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

remove wrote in news:gTiZe.5208$eB3.572 @bignews3.bellsouth.net:

Uh... you didnt SAY if the engine SOUNDED like it was idling fast, so i assume it doesnt.

If it DOES idle fast...then you likely have either a failed sensor or a vacuum leak.

That said, IIRC, the tach-flip syndrome USUALLY goes to about 3500.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I took the cluster out today and made sure that all the plugin connector strips were clean and shiny . After I put it back together again it worked fine for 1/2 hour and then jumped back to 2000. The car is idling @500 as per usual. Can I change only the tach part of the cluster?. Looks like it's all one unit. Since I'm driving around with the cluster torn apart, I can see the switch housing and wires for the headlamp switch. Do these wires normally run warm/ very warm when the lights are on. Anyway thanks for your help. Cheers

Reply to
remove

If it's like I recall, the tach head can be removed from the plastic substrate and housing.

Mine had a bad elect component in it... yours may have a bad connection inside head... all tach components should be in the head. The housing/substrate has only wiring traces.

remove wrote in news:wuoZe.1321$% snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

This is the reason you see so many Mustangs with Autometer tachs added on.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]