94 GT headlights are cloudy

Is there any way to clean them up so they look new or is this just from all the road debris scoring up the glass? I haven't inspected up close, but they look pretty cloudy and although I've only owned the car for about 6 months, I'm pretty sure it's affecting the effectiveness of the headlights (I just popped some Sylvania SilverStar halogens in, and there's a miniscule difference from the stock halogen bulbs). If there isn't a good way to clean them up so they look clear again, what are some replacement lenses that people would recommend? I'd like to have a newer look to them style-wise, but quality and usefulness really means more than looks.

Reply to
LoTekGuru

You could buy some of the many aftermarket lenses, and kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

but if you want to restore the clarity, just some white polishing compound will do the trick. I usually mount a small buffer pad in my cordless drill and go to town on it. works great! and it's a lot cheaper than replacement!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

go to any autostore and get some aluminum polish compound. Rub it a little on the lens and it will be clear. You'll have to repeat it after a while, but this is the cheapest solution. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

same thing happened to my passenger headlight on my 97 gt, which happen from moisture getting the in headlight and the heat from the bulb burning it to the inside of the lens. i picked up a set of cobra style headlights with the clear corners. it looks so much sweeter with the clear headlights and corner lights.

Joey

Reply to
JoeJoey

at 27 Jan 2004, LoTekGuru [ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net] wrote in news:A6adnbSQ1p snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Well known problem as the lenses are plastic, not glass. You get that white film on the taillights of a 94/95 as well. I've gotten both off using polishing compound and a lot of elbow grease. When they are clean, get some good wax and give them a nice coat. That will take care of small scratches as well as protect them. Since by polishing them, you may take the UV protectant coat of them. So count on having to do it every few months. No biggie tho as once you've got them clean it only takes a few minutes every few months to keep them up.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Paul

I think what you describe is something else. What I had was the outside of the lens and easily fixed. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Yeah, this is my experience too. Once you polish it, it will return to milk white within a few months. Not too bad, since the polishing only took me a couple of minutes. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Thanks for all the replies, I'll pick up some polishing compound as soon as I can and get these suckers cleared up!

Reply to
LoTekGuru

The trick is to mask off the lenses after a thorough cleaning and apply a layer of clear coat paint. This keeps them from yellowing again.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

at 30 Jan 2004, Michael Johnson, PE [ snipped-for-privacy@ourhouse.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I did not know that. Any clearcoat will do? Like the spray cans sold at like WalMart?

Reply to
Paul

yellow ? Mine never turned yellow. Just white and not clear. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

I would recommend using a quality brand of automotive grade clear coat. Basically the same type that the factory sprays on the car's paint. Also, follow the recommendations of the manufacturer regarding proper temperature range, surface prep etc. for applying the product. It's important to make sure the lenses are absolutely clean so the paint sticks. I did this on our old '94 T-Bird and it worked well up until the car was totaled last spring.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

The ones on my '89 LX turned yellow and I had to replace them. The newer Mustangs might have a different material.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

at 30 Jan 2004, Michael Johnson, PE [ snipped-for-privacy@ourhouse.com] wrote in news:n snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Ah! Thanks for the tip. If they start clouding back up, I'l do a repolish on them and go the clearcoat route. I'm sure I can find some decent clearcoat at the auto parts store.

Reply to
Paul