94 GT project: rebuild or die

Hi, I got problem like this: sometimes engine losing power, rpms shaking, does like backfires or smth. So I went to mechanic and he told me that headers are completely dead (there is a hole or smth on it, so it sucking air, engine getting cooler and so on). Also head, valves, fuel injectors might be replaced in proccess of engine disassembling, so price here could be from $500 to $2500. I'm thinking about GT40 package

maybesome additional information about it?) around $2500 + $1000 labor + $Xfor additional parts if something not good. Another way is to changeengine
something like that, $3000 + $X labor +$ additional parts. 4th way toswap the engine from other Mustang, but I think it's too much money forengine with no guarantee. 5th way to sell mine car (~+$3000) and buyanother car in excellent condition, cost a lot of money and it's nottoo easy to find it (~$10000). So maybe you have any advices what to doin situation like this?By the way, also I need to change all 4 brakes, calipers ($300-500), dobodywork(~$500 and no charge for labor, thanks for tech scoolstudents), change weathertight strips all over the car (maybe anybdyknows how much it costs and where to find it?), change bucket seats toblack leather($500). So, thats the deal, thanks for any ideas and advices. Waiting for it! Darius

1994 Ford Mustang GT
Reply to
Darius

At the risk of being harsh, the car sounds like it has been sorely neglected to the point of turning it into a POS.

If you have learned anything from this, you may want to say to hell with it and buy another. Take care of the next one. OR If you have learned nothing then by all means, pour money into this junker and keep driving it so that you will not ruin a second vehicle in the same way.

Seriously, you shouldn't let it get that far before you take action.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Dont downplay the 'sick puppy syndrome' wherein a person might find a starving distemper-ridden pup with a broken leg and nurse it back to health...

Instead of doing the reasonable thing - putting it out of its misery.

Such does exist. It's a hobby, sort of...

But d> At the risk of being harsh, the car sounds like it has been sorely

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hi, thanks for you answer. Since I bought it, I made less than 5000 miles. Smartass dealer did good job about veneering all these problems. Car was in good condition by eye, not too much miles by years, and cost not too much money. Now is that time, where I have to decide what to do

Darius

KJ.Kate ra=9Ae:

Reply to
Darius

Well I guess you learned a real good lesson about going by eye. Anytime, every time you buy a used car take it to a mechanic that you have a trust relationship with. Even when you know what you are doing "new wheels lust" can blind you to all sorts of problems.

Same thing with good looking women.

Reply to
Zombywoof