94 Mustang headlight switch

Since it's sunny and warm out I decided to take my headlight switch out and to give it a good spraying of contact head cleaner or possibly replace it. From what I've been told the knob is taken off by pushing in a clip. I've found the clip but no matter how hard I push I can't get the knob off the shaft. Does anyone know if the clip is pushed in or slid a bit? It's something so simple yet it's a huge pain to just get the knob off.

Thanks.

Reply to
ross james

I didn't think the knob was supposed to come off the shaft, I thought the shaft was supposed to come out of the switch. Isn't the clip down along the side of the shaft?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Under the knob there is a small square shaped slot. I've read you put a small screwdriver in there and the knob comes off. I can feel what seems to be a small metallic bump that I assume to be the retaining clip but no matter how hard I push on it or try to slide it there is no movement. I can get the part of the dash off but I need to get the knob off to get the dash completely off to get to the mounting bolts for the switch. If it becomes too impossible I'll just get another knob, cut the current one off at the shaft with my Dremel and then replace the switch and knob at once. I would just rather not start cutting stuff off if it can be avoided.

Thanks!

Reply to
John Carrigan

hi them darn knobs are allways a pain.pull the shaft out all the way,then get a coat hanger and just bent a quarter inch,90 degree and pull on the tab you see in the knotch of the knob next to the shaft,it only takes a little pull and should slip off..or break your arm so it can reach up under the dash till you feel the headlite switch,,find the little spring loaded butten push in then pull the knob and shaft out together,then try and get your arm back out and head to the dr and get cast on it ,,lol,,hope this helps..later

Reply to
Jeff Guenther