94 v6 to v8 swap?

Hello gang!

I am wondering on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the toughest) how hard is it to swap over basically everything in the GT to the base line V6 model? I am talking motor, tranny, computer, brakes (if there is a difference) and maybe the seats. Will I be able to basically plug the computer into the V6 body, or will I need to yank all the wiring out of the GT and pop that into the V6? I think for the most part the motor, tranny, brakes, and seats are all pretty easy. Its just the wiring I am not too sure about.

Brandon

Reply to
indi

cobra boy

There is no scale for how hard it is. It all depends on how much effort you're willing to put into the project.

For your car you're going to have to swap out the K-member since the mounting points for the motor mounts are different between the V6 and V8s. Since this would have to take place you're going to have to source a donor '94-'95 Mustang that had a V8. If you have the $$$ for it you should opt for a tubular K-member, tubular A-arms, & coil-over front suspension if you can't find tubular A-arms with spring perches. You would have to get the entire engine wiring harness out of a donor '94-'95 and re-install it into the V6 car. The rearend is a definite must-do swap. It isn't hard, just time consuming. If fact, the entire swap isn't hard, just time consuming and it's a lot easier if you have all or at least most of the tools to do the swap. I'm all for swaps of this sort and completely ignore the "just buy a V8 model" comments. Those you'll hear a lot from those who can't or don't like getting their hands dirty. If you actually like to work on your car to improve it or experiment on your own on making more power then go for it. It'll take time depending on your resources and whatever help you can get from buddies. These projects don't happen overnight.

Reply to
HELMUT F RONER

While you're at it, why not get an EXPLORER V8 Though :) I'm told they make quite a nice replacement motor for pony's ...

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Now who in their right mind would stick an Explorer SUV motor in one ????? :-)

As a side note, the crossmember in the 94/95 (V6/V8 same) will accept the pushrod motor, it's the 96+ which was changed and won't work for these motors.

You would definately need a donor car as it is far easier and cheaper than nickel and dime'n parts.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

I stand corrected. :o)

Reply to
HELMUT F RONER

Your statement about ignoring the "just buy a V8 model" holds some merit... however, financially, this is an insane way to have a V8 Mustang. I'm all about swapping stuff, but even when it's almost all available and the major parts are next to free, it'll still almost always be cheaper in the long run to just buy the V8. The other issue is that after you're all done, the car's only worth something to you, as everyone else will be afraid to touch it if they know you swapped engines. The money saved could probably get you into a V8 car and have a few bucks left over for those performance goodies.

My friend, for example, bought my '83 3.8L V6 Mustang convertible - cherry body on it, bad top and engine - for $300. Purchased an '83 5.0 Mercury Capri for $500. He's got $800 invested thus far and you'd think he'd have everything he needed? Needed full exhaust (the exhaust on the Capri was junk), found a cheap GT take-off, threw it on (turn-down tips and all)... etc. All said and done, after new top, he's got something close to $5k in this car, and it still has a 7.5" rear ('83's had those factory), little brakes, and the V6 suspension. He could have bought an '89-up LX 5.0L convertible for this price and got the SEFI and better underpinnings. Not only that, it still needs paint badly.

All that said... there's still some times when you just don't want rid of

*your* car and will do whatever it takes to make it the way you want. In that case, there's nothing better than yanking the 3.8L out and dropping in a 5.0L. Above mentioned friend purchased my '90 LX 5.0 5-speed 'vert for parts and will soon be the proud owner of an injected '83. After the 351W gets rebuilt, the car will undergo surgery again. I help out on these projects and usually provide lots of wiring support. This car's worth too much to him to ever sell now... might as well build it as he wants.

Weigh your options wisely...

JS

Reply to
JS