'95 5.0 Engine Problems - Please Help.

Hey Ya'll

I'm having some real problems with my 1995 GT Mustang (5 speed).

Some history, recently my power steering started leaking and the pump actually ran dry, but I remedied this situation by running some power steering sealant through it and that problem has gone now... but almost at the same time I've started having some issues with the engine when it heats up (this doesn't happen when the engine is cold, and seems to get worse as the engine gets hotter and hotter.)

What is when I'm driving along (no matter which gear I'm in) if the revs are between about 1500 and 2000rpms (but never below 1500rpms) then it starts hesitating and the revs drop momentarily but then pick back up - so the car is drivable (ie it can drive 30 miles before you go nuts) but it's very unsettling.

I had a friend look at it and we decided that it seems like a sensor problem, initially I thought it might be the fuel filter, he plugged in his computer to it and it threw two codes:

- One about the SPOUT being grounded or something (#212), and

- One about the Fuel Pump circuit (#561 or #567 - we think)

(I really should've written down the exact numbers but I never thought about it at the time I called him and I've added the numbers above)

This is really bad timing for me because I normally ride my bike to work but with winter coming I need to get the GT running and fast, I hope I've given enough info to get a started but will answer any pointed questions as best I can.

Cheers, Sam.

Reply to
sam.fielden

How many miles are on the car ? I had a similar issue with my 95GT (70K I think). It turned out to be the hall-effect sensor that sits on the distributor. The dealer replaced it for me for about 300 bucks. I do a lot of the work myself but this requires a press I think so I could not do it myself. Anyways, the symptoms were; As soon as car heated up fully it would stall completely for a few (1 or 2) seconds. When this happened everything on the dash went dead. speedo and tach. Would happen a couple times then disappear. It slowly got worse and at one point the car would start, run for 30 seconds and die and would not start anymore until cooled down.

Do NOT believe people who say it is the dreaded ignition module. This was on pre-94 modules only because the ignition module was located on the distributor and got very hot. With the 94 and up gt's the ignition module is located on a nice cool spot under the air cleaner. No need to replace it.

Hope this is it. Another issue might be the oxygen sensors. I had one go bad at 60K, the other one (it has 2) never was replaced (until I sold it at 90K)

Good luck.

Reply to
RT