95 GT - EEC error codes stored?

My 1995 GT has 80,000 miles and seems to be running as good as it ever has. However, in the last month the Check Engine light came on briefly 3 times, only for a couple seconds each time.

I brought it to the local garage I have done business with for years, and he said that no error codes were detected during his tests, and no stored error codes were found either. He road-tested the car and said there was really nothing they found wrong. He claimed that the Check Engine light would have to remain lit longer than a few seconds for the code to be stored.

A week later, the Check Engine came on and stayed on for about a minute. Again nothing else seemed wrong, and the light hasn't come on again yet.

My questions:

  1. Does the 95 use the OBD II system?

  1. When does an EEC error code get stored? Is it as the mechanic suggested, and only if the Check Engine light stays on for an extended period?

I'm leaning toward working in my own garage using the procedure I found with a Google search for self-diagnosing EEC-IV problems. Just wanted to know what kind of experience others had checking their own EEC codes.

-Bill J.

Reply to
Bill J.

From my limited knowledge of OBD and OBD-II, OBD-II are on mostly 96 and newer cars, I just bought a PC based OBDII scan interface since I bought a

99 Ranger and the check engine light came on. I found a PDF on the internet
which accordingto it the 95 Mustang isn't completely OBDII compatible with their scantools; the document mentions that you should check the EPA emissions labelunder the hood which should tell you for sure. Ford made a few vehicles in94 & 95 OBDII compliant prior to the federal gov made it mandatory in 96. Now from my reading on certain codes which I was dealing with my issues with my Ranger, under most situations the MIL or check engine light can be triggered if a fault occurs more than twice before the light can be triggered; the same is true for some faults in that if they correctly check out after a certain number of ignition starts then the error code and error light will be removed. Usually this occurs with ODBII systems unless you are dealing with something like a vacuum leak or over vacuum. I had a 92 Ranger 4banger which I would get a check engine light if I coasted down a good sized incline with my foot off the gas and I never worried too much about it as soon as I accelerated back up to go up a hill the light would go back out.

The most useful thing you can do before going out and getting a code reader to log data for an extended time is take note of when the light comes on and under what circumstances it goes out. It's most likely that the 95 Mustang isn't ODBII so the codes won't be stored in computer memory as if it was the code reader would pick up the code even if the check engine light goes off.

The problem with my 99 Ranger turned out to be a dirty MAF and the engine was running at least according to the computer too lean; so far after cleaning it no fault has been after 500 mile. It's easy to get the codes off the OBDII systems but it's much harder to figure out what's wrong.

Reply to
The Wes'ter

bill, the 95 gt is an obd I car. 94+ v6 cars are obdII.

i don't think the error codes will be stored unless they are serious issues. a check engine light can be a phantom, and the computer seems to pick which ones to keep an eye on. my guess, if i had to, would be oxygen sensor issues, which tend to be the focal point for the 95 computer.

in my own car, no matter how many times the ce light was triggered, it never stored a thing until an exhaust leak triggered it. seems the o2 sensor wasnt getting hot enough do to the leak.

hope that puts you mind at ease. . tim

95 mustang gt 5spd
Reply to
Rosco1211

I wonder if this is why the service departments had so much trouble diagnosing the problems I had with my 95 GT. My symptoms were similar, I replaced my MAF and it all cleared up. Later I fould that they can be cleaned and save the $75

Hope you get it figured out!

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
Reply to