95 GT giving 11 MPG and not good throttle response

I bought automatic GT 95 all-stock last month and its giving me 10-11 miles per gallons. Also the throttle response in first and second gear are bad. I know this is not stick shift, even then I was not expecting slow response from "GT". My 96 thunderbird has better throttle response. This is the first time I ever drove GT.

I went to Ford dealer. They ran test and found nothing. I was not satisfied so I ask him to test drive with me. He pushed the throttle full and it was picking slowly. He then cleaned the air filter and said "I think pickup could be better but I dont know what to say. I have cleaned the filter (which was not bad) and now its computer will adjust so give cpl of days"

Am I expecting too much from GT or there is something to consider???

Now I avoid other fast model cars on road cuz I know my GT will crawl if we both will push gas at same time :-)))))

Thanks in advance.

now not very excited, Abbas

Reply to
Abbas

restricted exhaust maybe? Defiant

Reply to
Defiant

Yes the catalytic converter could be plugged up.

Reply to
Braxus

Abbas,

I would start with the basics. A full tune-up -- plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter, check the timing and the voltage of the TPS sensor.

But first, how many miles are on the car? Lots of miles could mean, like some have suggested plugged cats, or it could be a bad coil, fuel pump or ignition module. Is the auto transmission kicking down when you floor it? If not, maybe the tranny needs some work.

Have you run a code test on the computer? Did you get any codes?

There's lots of possibilities.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Thanks everybody,

Sorry for not writing mileage. It has 103,000 miles 1995 GT convertible automatic. My 100% driving is city as I cant afford going out of town with car giving me 11 per gallon.

I have print out this thread and will share with my auto mechanic. Learning :) or anybody can suggest any website for learning about functionality of different part of car?

Thanks

Abbas

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Abbas

Try

(view link(s) that interest you).

-Mike

Reply to
memset

On 19 Jun 2005 20:29:17 -0700, "Abbas" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Should be a little better in the city, but not really all that much.

Just do a search on each subject. Such as "What does a fuel filter do"

Best bet is to always go out and buy the repair manual for any vehicle you own. Start learning the basics and slowly move up to the more advanced stuff. Other then the computer controlled shit, most work you can easily learn to do yourself from just reading the repair manual and with a basic toolset from Sears.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Reply to
Abbas