95 Mustang GT - A lot of pinging

I have tried changing gas and it does not stop the pinging and rattling. I talked to the parts counter at our local Ford dealer and he told me to pull the negative cable from the battery for 10 to 20 minutes then run the car hard for 30 miles. Another said I needed a small gasket replaced. I purchased the gasket since it was only $2.50 but have not replaced it yet. I can't even remember what it went to. Just that the part sits back by the firewall.

Any advice out there? The car has lost some power and rattles A LOT with the car climbs hills and when you get on it.

Reply to
Scribble

How many miles are on the car? If a lot, I'd give the car a basic tuneup & work from there.

1.) Clean MAF sensor with electrical parts cleaner only 2.) Clean IAT/ACT sensor with electrical parts cleaner only 3.) Check/clean/replace air filter (depending on which type you have) 4.) Test/regap/replace spark plugs 5.) Test/replace ignition wires 6.) Replace fuel filter 7.) Check/clean/replace EGR valve (very neglected--and recently the cause of my pinging problem!!)

I'd try those first. If you do all of that & the pinging is still there... ya got me! My car started pinging with 91 octane... so I cleaned the EGR valve & pinging went away with 87 octane even. Good luck, bud.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Scribble I'm coming in while missing the initial thread, the gasket goes to the EGR solenoid switch located on the passenger side firewall. If this pinging started after your last re-fuel it could be bad gas, the injectors may be dirty an easy corrective would be to burn out or empty out the tank (This won't be easy) or get an octane booster and injector cleaner and put it in and fill the tank with fresh gas. If the ping stays I recommend that the ecm needs to be tested to see if any fault codes pop up. The ECM may need a "re-flash".

Reply to
Mr. Ford

It's common on the 94 and 95GT's. I had a 95GT and it did the same thing. I pretty much replaced/cleaned all the parts that are mentioned in this thread and it was still there. Then around 60K the HALL effect sensor in the distributor crapped out. Dealer replaced it and when I got the car back the pinging was completely gone ! At first I thought they backed the timing out since they had to remove the distributor. I played around with it, bumping it up quite a bit but I did NOT have any more pinging. Car ran great until (and beyond I hope) I sold it at 92K. miles.

Two other things I would do also;

-Check the fuel pressure. Get (or borrow ) a fuel pressure tester and run the test. See if it builds up enough pressure and if it holds the pressure after switching the engine off.

-Run some Seafoam in your gas. This is a very strong cleaner that does wonders. I think carquest sells it. not many others sell it.

How many miles does the car have on it ? Mine started pinging pretty early in its life (30K or so ?)

Rein

I had the same problem, where the pinging gradually got worse until about at

75K miles the check engine light started coming on. The translated error code was "lean condition." A dirty (or bad) MAF sensor was the problem. Replaced it, and the pinging went away, and the car ran as good as it ever has. ( a lot of times you can get away with simply cleaning the MAF sensor, if you're careful not to break the thin wires).

The odometer just went over 100K miles today, and it's still running great!

-Bill

95 GT 5-speed
Reply to
Bill Jones

Bill Jones opined : A dirty (or bad) MAF

ONE MORE TIME!!!!!

That *&^^%$ thing IS NOT that fragile, you COULD even clean it with a toothbrush. Note I DID NOT say WIREBRUSH

More important is to not bend or move it... and dont use windex, no matter what some have used... use electronics cleaner or even rubbing alcohol

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Heh yeah.. I've cleaned it a few times now & I've never had any problems w/ breaking it. It isn't THAT fragile.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

The car has 140k. It ran great until about a year ago, around 130k.

Bill mentioned that a check engine light started coming on. My check engine light has not come on but the Coolant Light comes on all the time. I have checked the coolant and kept it to the full mark but it is still on. I figured a level sensor is going out and as long as I keep it full, it should be ok. Right?

Reply to
Scribble

Reply to
barbara johnson