96 Cobra broken rear sway bar

I have been chasing down a rattling problem in the Cobra for a few days now. I finally stuck my head in the trunk while the wife was driving to find out once and for all what the problem was. I traced it down to the rear sway bar. It snapped off right by the mounting bolt on the passenger side.

Where is the best place to get one that will not snap? Bear in mind that I am just looking for a better made stock replacement as this car is otherwise bone stock and I don't have a lot of $.

Thanks!

Reply to
Steve B

Max Motorsports carries a very good replacement. It is a 38-lb. solid rear swaybar that is a direct replacement. Older swaybars were hollow and tended to break at the mounting point. The solid bar won't break nearly as easily.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail from those known to me. See my website for details.

Reply to
JD Adams

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up ordering a Steeda unit. Hopefully it will hold up for me. :)

I'd like to do more with the suspension, but it just isn't in the budget right now... :(

Reply to
Steve B

my '96 GT snapped in the same place last year. I just bought another one from ford for i think about $100 -

i figured since that one lasted 6 years, so would another factory one.

one thing though, buy new bolts to do the install, when i did it i found that i couldnt re-use the old bolts

Reply to
Christopher Shea

I have been running a Steeda rear HD sway bar for a while and have been happy with it to date. It is VERY common to break the rear sway bar right at the rear bolt hole as this is it's weakest point. I have seen reference to a breaking point on the hollow bars right where the ends are welded on but haven't seen one personally yet.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy