96 Mustang GT - 99 headswap - questions

If I get 99 heads put on my 96 Mustang GT Convertible...

(a) what is cost of parts & labor? (b) what is hp & torque increase? (assuming stock 215/290) (c) do I *need* to change exhaust and if so what recommendations that are most quiet? (d) any other recommendations to go with headswap? I already have 3.73 gears.

Thanks!

Reply to
Scotter

It depends on where you are. It appears to range from $600 or so to $1,000+.

Just slapping on PI head and intake will get you to a little better than a new stock 4.6. So call it ~265 hp at the crank. In rwhp, you should expect

230-240 rwhp. Not sure of torque, but there will be more and you'll feel it.

I wanted quiet peformance also. I have a VRS SS catted X pipe and Dynomax SS Ultra Flo catback. Authoritative, but not wake-the-neighbors loud. It will add to the numbers above too.

Unless you do alot of highway driving at 80 mph, 4.10s are a real kick in the butt. I recommend the '02+ intake with the aluminum crossover. You can get it drilled and tapped for the second coolant sensor that your car has and the 99+ cars don't. If you're thinking about headers, now is the time to do them, and do nothing less than longtubes. There is no power to be had from shorties. If you do this, skip the X pipe I mentioned above and get an X or H that is compatible with the longtubes you get. A timing adjuster (or a custom tuned chip, if that's in the plans) will also make a noticeable difference. Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Reply to
Keith

wow, thanks, Keith!