96GT: Brake pad and strut replacement ?'s

I'm changing out the rear brake pads and maybe the struts on my 96GT this weekend. I have a few questions needing answers to that will help alot.

Rear brakes:

- do I use anti-squeel on the rear pads also?

- where can I get the rotors re-surfaced on a Sunday?

- What is a decent/affordable brand replacement pad from a parts store?

Struts:

- Should i use 93 struts for a lowered 96? (steeda sport springs)

- Is a strut install a fairly easy driveway project? I've read that air tool make the job easier and it's a PITA to keep the shaft from spinning.

Thanks,

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Yes, only on the metal back of the pads....

how about auto zone, rotors cost about $35 each... why turn old rotors..

how about Raybestoes brake pads... they got the cheap, $15.95 the better $29.95 and on up to $59.95... check out their web site at

Pep Boys has the two cheaper ones i used the $29.95 as they have a lifetime guarantee and they seem to work fine and last a long time..... also buy some high temp. brake grease to put on the pins that hold the brake calipers on when your remove all the old grease/dirt off so the calipers can slide back and forth when you brake like they are suppose to so you dont wear out one side of the pads.... Oh, and you know that you have to screw the rear brake caliper pistons back in when you push them back in.. unlike the front caliper pistons when are just screwed back in to make room for the new pads?????

Reply to
jim

Basically to save 70 bucks. I read that alot of people don't even turn the rotors when replacing pads.

But, i feel a lip on the rear rotors. I have the original pads with 83k on them. They are very low right now.

i'll go middle of the road on this option at 29.95.

Thanks for the tip.

Can you be more specific on how to do this?

Thanks again

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Hi Marc,

You can go to a local Pep Boys or O'Reilly & buy a brake caliper compressing tool (for rear brakes) for about $10 that attaches to a ratchet (however u spell it) and is used to compress the piston. Like on the front pads you can use a 6" C-clamp, but on the rear pads you must use this tool or some other fancy tool. It's nice to have 2 people when doing the rear pads. Anyway.. the actual piece looks like a cube with weird edges on all sides. It's a pretty handy little tool though.. makes the job much easier. Good luck.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Thanks Mike. I'm aware that I need that tool, but I think I'm going to have to figure out what Jim was saying about turning back the piston when I get the tires off and take a look.

Yeah, this is my first brake job, so I'm asking alot of basic questions. So far it seems kinda straight-foward and I refuse pay anymore people to work on my car. (unless I have to)

I'm doing this alone, so why whould 2 people bake this easier?

Thanks,

Marc

Reply to
Marc

at 21 Nov 2003, Marc [ snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.dot.com] wrote in news:xUxvb.8632$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

What he means is with the rear brakes, in order to get the piston back, you have to turn(screw) it using the little tool or a $40 brake caliper kit. The front pistons you just push back with a C clamp or the likes.

I'm in the same boat. Mine need replacing as well shortly. I'm going for the PFC (front) and Bendix (rear) pads based on recommendations made in here about their stopping power. They're like around $40 at AutoZone I believe. Asking similar questions on what to do a while back. Here's what I found also:

Very clear, step by step howto with pictures.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Paul

Marc,

No problem. Read what Paul said in response to your post... what he said is what I meant. Anyway.. it makes it easier to have 2 people so 1 person can hold the caliper while you turn the piston (rear).. or you can use a coat hanger to hold it. I've done it by myself & with 2 people & it's just easier with 2 people I think. Good luck. Either way, it isn't hard.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Rein

FYI Pep Boys pads DO NOT carry a lifetime guarantee anymore... They haven't since 1999!

Actually they still CLAIM they are a lifetime warranty, it's just that the warranty EXCLUDES wear so it's basically useless.

OTOH Autozone STILL sells pads with a lifetime (FULL) warranty.

.02

Reply to
Chief Wiggum