97 Ford Mustang - Problems

I have a 97 Ford Mustang GT and its has about 125k miles on it. All I have done to it is put in a K&N filter. I finally have the money to fix some things that I see that are wrong with it.

  1. Some days (especially humid or cold) the car doesn't seem to stay running when I start it. If I hold down the gas slightly (I have a standard) I can keep it running but once I let go it would die. I have gotten use to this habit and I am able to drive it as long as I keep my foot on the gas peddle. Soon after driving (about 10 min) it would rev up a little and the car would be fine. It only acts like this in the winter.

  1. My headlights are yellow. Where can I get a good pair of headlights?

  2. My Odometer just quit working.... Could this be a fuse?

  1. When I am going about 60-70 mph I try and punch the gas and I get this gurgling noise with little power....Don't know what causes this.

Also I would like some steps into upgrading. Such as what I should get first and so on.

Thanks

Reply to
verticalmojo

clean the air idle bypass with carb spray (see other posts in here)

should be able to get these easy, check the car mags if dealer is out

dont know, could have unscrewed the speedo cable from either end.

this is detationation most likely, dont let it stay there back off the gas, could cause dammage, change plugs, give it a tune up, and buy some 91 or 93 gas, and clean the injectors.

check compression first, should be within about 10% on all cylenders, 45-50 lbs(?), you could have a leaky valve or one cylender low or too high(too high is too much carbon built up inside cylinder), then you would have to redo the motor before upgrading, I would put on a blower first...

Reply to
Dr. Chumley

Remove and clean the Idle air control valve with throttle body cleaner then put it back on.

I went with the '98 cobra knock offs. Better than the stock GT lamps, not perfect though.

No... it's mechanical.

Can't tell ya.

Reply to
Brent P