'98 Mustang speedometer not working - help!

I have a 1998 Mustang and the speedometer has stopped working. Apparently this has happened before with the previous owner and then suddenly it would start working again. I was driving and the speedometer suddenly said I was going about 85, but I was only going about 75, then it fixed itself. This happened once or twice. Now the speedometer needle has gone all the way to the other side, saying I'm doing well over 120 or so and is right next to the stick (that keeps it from spinning around and around). It's stuck there and won't budge. Any ideas of why this may be happening and what I can do to fix it? The odometer seems to be working, just the needle on the speedometer won't come back around. Any advice or help would be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Reply to
Kel

Hello,

I recently had a speedometer problem with a 99 Ford Escort ZX2 (I also own a 2001 Mustang GT). On the ZX2 the needle bounced around a little bit, then went to 0 mph, and stayed there. The problem was with the speed sensor. It needed to be replaced, and is currently in the shop. Parts, labor, and tax is about $140 here in Chicago.

Dave

Kel wrote:

Reply to
BullsFan