'99 front license plate

I just got permanent tags for my recently bought '99. Only had a paper tag in back and now I notice that there's no holes in front to screw in a license plate. Anybody know what I need to do? TIA.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

Ummmm... screwing it in the front? Front bumper? Mine goes on the back ..along with every other car I've ever seen in real life.. but anyway Wal-mart has some license plate kits for sale.. usually $3-$4. Check 'em out.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Many states require boh a front and rear license plate. We do here in IL.

Reply to
Keith

There may be two dimples in the bumper cover. Those are the spots. If not, center the plate and screw it in. There is no bracket from Ford for the GT. The old Cobras had one ('96-'98), but that was because of the contour of the bumper.

Reply to
Keith

Really? Weird! I never knew that... what other states are like that?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

CA does, too.

Reply to
Dana Myers

Yup, CA does too, but I refuse. FUGM

If you look at your front bumper very closely, you should see two teensy tiny little dimples, they are the locaters for the bolts. You should prolly go to the dealership and order and front license plate bracket for your car, if you insist on putting the plate on it. They look much nicer without the front plate.. well.. I think so anyway.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
SVTKate

Only the '96-'98 Cobras have a bracket for the plate. For all the others, it's right into the bumper cover. That's why there is a flat spot in the middle of the bumper. I haven't had a front plate on mine for a long time, but a recent ticket and court supervision for 12 months to keep it off my record dictate that I adhere to the letter of the law until the slate is clean.

BTW...if you don't want to put those holes in the bumper cover, double-sided

3M tape will work too. I have a friend that did that, and that plate isn't going to come off without pulling quite hard on it.
Reply to
Keith

It's only a $10 fix-it ticket. My roadster doesn't feature a front plate either.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Virginia Also is like that.

Reply to
John Wiebalk

Connecticut as well, although I'd say 60% of the people only have the rear plate. A good amount also only have the license plate in the back window ... not sure what that's all about.

Reply to
Lew Reid

WA state is another. /muttering on Damn bastards /muttering off

Reply to
Greg B.

Colorado too

Scott Williams '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Wow a lot of states require front/rear tags... that's weird! My 98 GT doesn't have any holes for a front license plate... just flat where one could be.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Massachusetts has gone to the 2 plate system. There were two small indents on my front bumper for the attaching screws on my GT.

Martin

2002GT 5spd Autometer Lunar Gauge cluster Hurst Billet Plus shifter K&N Magnafolw Cat back

1986 Fireo GT 4 spd -4 sale

Reply to
Martin

From

(though, I don't know how current this info is): States (plus a US territory and DC) that require both a front & back license plate:

Alaska, American Samoa, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

States (and three US territories) that require only a back license plate:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virgin Islands, West Virginia.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Tx requires a plate on the front and rear of the vehicle. We own/operate a Convenience store, and it is really helpful with drive-offs.(stealing gas) The cars face the store, and we can have their plate numbers written down before they leave. New cameras helped as well. :-) They also just passed a new law that you cannot have a license plate "frame" or anything around your license plate now. (in Texas) That kinda bites, as I miss my NHRA plate border. Mark Oh Bill, God of this newsgroup...was that an OK post? Did I spell anything wrong? Did I break any rules?

Reply to
mrQ

Not true, check out

Michael Bolden-King

Uh, I suggest that MA wins the weird contest:

- If your lic.plates are red, you must have them front & rear.

- If your lic.plates are green, you only need a rear one.

That's why you see folks like me clinging desperately to that old green plate - why mess up the appearance of the front of my GT? And, why give photo radar another shot at me?

I suppose I should not have mentioned this wrinkle - even now, I think I hear the goo-goo gang calling their legislators.

Reply to
Bob WIllard

FYI, there are 4 dimples. At least my 2000 GT had 4.

Reply to
Mike King