99 GT has blown motor.............

What year 4.6 can i use in the 99GT other than a 99 or perhaps a 2000? My buddies are telling me I can't use a 4.6 out of other Fords as it has to be a Mustang motor that uses the same computer chip. I found a

2001 motor. Would that work with the 99GT Computer? Are the motor mounts the same? Hows about a motor out of say an F150 or Crown Vic?

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

What exactly is blown in the engine? Are the heads gone? The block?

Reply to
Michael Johnson

It looks like a rod as well as other things. With all the labor involved in a thorough diagnosis\rebuild I think it would be more cost effective to just buy another used motor. I have found a couple motors for it already just not 100% sure if they will work or not. I have found a 2001 motor but before I buy it I want to make sure the 99s computer will work with it. If not I am looking for a used motor that will work. Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I would recommend pulling the blown motor out and inspecting it. All it may need is a rework of the short block. I would think that if the replacement motor has the same power rating as the pld one it should work with the existing computer. The only way to be 100% sure is to get an engine from the same year of Mustang or one with the same horsepower rating.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

This site

doesn't answer your question but it does make a point regarding the crank flywheel holes being either six or eight holes. You could end up buying another flywheel. The eight hole crank will except the larger Cobra flywheel. If you have an auto I'm not sure about that. Seemed to me that the 01 and later engines have higher compression. 98 and earlier engines are non PI head units.

Reply to
GILL

You can use any engine that fits as long as you get the computer if it's different that yours.

Reply to
WindsorFox