99 GT lurches when I put it in reverse

My 99 GT auto sometimes lurches backward when I put it in reverse. I plan to take this in soon but was wondering if anyone knew what the prob might be and whether this might be a recall issue. TIA.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

What do you mean by "lurches"? What I can tell you is my `03 GT takes a long time to actually get into reverse after shifting the lever into the "R" position. In otherwords, I shift the lever into "R", then the tranny goes into a "false neutral" for a good 2 seconds or more, then it actually catches into reverse. During this "false neutral" period, the engine will often rev up a bit, especially when the engine is cold and still at "fast idle". So, once the tranny actually goes into reverse, the car can tend to "lurch" slightly since the revs will be up a bit right before. Perhaps this is what you are talking about? My car has done this since new. The problem is consistant. I am thinking that this is just the way these trannies work. I'd love to hear some comments from others with late model auto transmissions. Personally, I really hate the fact that it takes a few seconds to get into reverse. Just try making a speedy K-turn... it is not possible... can be quite frustrating. Everyday I am reminded about what a mistake it was to get the auto tranny in this car. Next time my wife is just gonna have to learn how to drive a stick whether she likes it or not!

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

That sounds pretty close. Thanks for your informative comments. Guess I'll just have to keep my foot firmly on the brake to avoid any problems.

Reply to
Zen Cohen