99 Mustang V6 engine noise

Could anyone give me some insight on this...

My 99 mustang is making what I think is a pinging noise. I took it to my mechanic and he checked timing, spark plugs, etc. He said everything is fine. He thinks the sound is coming from the exhaust. His advice was to get an after-market exhaust that would provide a throatier sound. Does anyone know if the 99 Mustang has a history of a tinny sound from the exhaust? Anyone else have similar sounds with their mustang? I have the standard coupe with V6 engine. All parts and exhaust are factory, no after market stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Reply to
John M

Need to define "pinging" better for us. Does it make the noise when you're stopped but idling? Under load (accelerating)? Where does it sound like it's coming from *to you*? Have you tried riding in the passenger seat for a different perspective? Which transmission do you have?

FWIW, I have a '99 V6 convertible with standard transmission that makes what could be called a pinging noise, but I'd more accurately describe it as a sort of "tinny" clicking noise. It happens anytime my foot is completely off the clutch, even when the transmission's in neutral, and changes frequency in conjunction with the engine speed. I've heard it's caused by a bent finger on the pressure plate, but I've never taken it in to be looked at. No problems shifting and not getting any worse. ____ Neil

Reply to
Neil Wagner

snipped-for-privacy@socal.rr.com (Neil Wagner) wrote in :

I get the exact same sound/noise from my 97v6 Vert, sound goes away with by applying slight pressure to the clutch. I've had the sound now for about 3 years without any problems in shifting.

Charlie

The sound is more of a tinny clicking noise, not a knock. It is most apparent in low gears, and seems non-existent as I move up in gears. However, this could simply be due to road noise covering up the sound as my speed increases. It sounds like it is coming from the engine to me. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks for the info, Neil.

Reply to
John M

Very little pressure required here, too, like less than 1/16 inch. The source for my deduction, BTW, is from the Car Talk guys, here -

Neil Wagner