A little OT, but beware of drivers with an attitude - even if they're on the race track.

I have a friend in his mid 70s who has the idea that there's no need to stop a vehicle at a stop sign if no cars are coming. I won't ride in a car with him. Now he and his wife are on a long motorcycle ride with other older folks. They're good friends but I fear for their safety. Any thoughts?

Dick

Reply to
Dickr

Please post their intended route... and stay far far away.

Reply to
NotMe

I agree. He and his wife will be taking some big chances. I hope his dying words are not "I didn't see him coming". Moron, idiot, knowitall.

Who here never stopped at a stop sign, only to go again and see someone coming, and you slam on the breaks? Might have happened to me once.

I will make an effort to stop just incase the cop in the bushes is watching. We all know how mustangs, moving violations, and insurance rates combine. Ah, not that I have first hand knowledge...

Reply to
twk

.

This bring up scores of driver laziness issues:

1) Not using turn signals. Is it really that hard to flip the stalk up or down before (please don't start at mid-turn... it's a little too late then.) making a turn? 2) Left laners (or what I like to call rolling road blocks) I don't mind if you want to go slow, or are out for a cruise, but get the f*ck out of the passing lane. And DON"T be in the left/passing lane and be traveling at the *exact* same speed as the traffic in the right lane. 3) Not using lights, or a least park lights, at dusk or during times of decreased visibility. It's starting to get dark, maybe a few cars on the road near you have tinted glass, and perhaps there's a little mist/rain on windshields/glass, and here you are zipping along in stealth mode with no freaking lights on. Even better when you're piloting a dark-colored car. Yes, you sure stand out in my rear-view mirror, just like a cat in a tall grassy field. . 4) Not using seat belts. Oh, that's right, you have herculean strength and can simply throw your hands up during a crash to keep your body from going through the windshield or your head from running into the air bag that's exploding towards you. Speaking of air bags, your passenger's feet should also be well protected when they're perched up on the dash. I'm pretty sure if the [passenger-side] air bag deploys it won't blow their feet off.

Yaking on the cellphone. Is that phone call really THAT important? Really? It couldn't wait a few minutes for you to stop driving? Oh, you say your cell phone service is the ONLY ONE that doesn't provide voice mail. And the President often calls you about urgent issues. Never mind then, take the calls.

Texting while driving. You're only piloting what could be considered a

2,500-5,500 pound land missile. It really doesn't need your undivided attention. If you hit something, what bad could happen?

Pulling out in front on oncoming traffic, then dragging their ass down the road I mean if you're in that big of a hurry, and you can't wait for me to pass by, why would you then go slow as shit? At least have the courtesy to step on it and get up quickly to the speed of the oncoming traffic, so I can somewhat excuse your haste.

Drafting. This isn't NASCAR. And if I have to go hard on the brakes, I really don't want you to end up in my backseat. That would kind of ruin my day, not to mention probably yours. So, please, drive a *few seconds* behind me, you know, the amount of time it takes for a person to react to brake lights. Makes sense, right?

Weaving in and out of traffic. I know you're the best video game race car driver on the planet, but out of the streets they're real vehicles. If you crash in to one there isn't a reset/start-over button. Remember that!

Poor tire maintenance. Do you ever look at your tires? Slicks on a drag car is a good thing. "Slicks" on a street car, not so good. Check that. "Slicks" on a street car is TERRIBLE. Buy some new[er] ones or park it. About tire pressures. Tires are circular. When they're semi-circle put some air in it/check for a leak. AND make a habit of checking your tire pressures monthly, because tires are important. They're the only thing you have gripping the road. .

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

Good rant Patrick. I think many of us will agree.

Dick

Reply to
Dickr

They drive that way in the middle east, no problem.

Reply to
huhie

Stop that. People drive like that all over the world, even (obviously) in the good ol' U.S.A.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I'll add that REAL PUSSY MOVE of climbing up my ass when I'm turning off the road, even though I've given plenty of advance warning. Twice recently I've had to brake when making my turn - once, when a brain-dead child was walking toward the intersection in the middle of the street, and again when there was police activity that I couldn't see before starting my turn. I'm not all that interested in testing the reaction time of the driver behind me.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I was in Saudi Arabia when they started putting in stop signs, if you stopped at one you would get rear ended. So you had to run it. The expectation at crossings was that their may be another car running it already, so one would slightly slow down, but keep going. This was in Downtown Jeddah, in three story buildings (so you could not see much of the other crossing traffic)

Reply to
huhie

I was amused by the old (60's) scheme in Paris, where stop signs and stop lights were rare: at night, the first driver to flash his high beams had the right-of-way.

Reply to
Bob Willard

There's stopping and there's stopping. I he talking a rolling stop where he's only going a couple mph or is he blasting thru?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

OR the lead car(s) at the red light. The light turns green and they're either zoned-out or fiddling around with something in their car and it takes them 3-10 seconds to hit the gas. Meanwhile there's a line of drivers behind them who would like to get through the green light and get where they're going today. Worse, when finally realize there isn't another shade of green [light] they can't seem to push the gas pedal down and get their car up to speed in a reasonable amount of time.

OR, the good Samaritan(s). The person or persons who let a car coming out of a side street and wanting to get across a couple lanes of stopped traffic (for a stop light) and make a left into traffic going in the other direction. They do this despite the fact that person JUST rolled up to his side street's stop sign. AND the stopped traffic is just started to move -- the light has turned green. They're going let this guy cut across the lanes and block traffic while he's trying to, go left, and find a hole in the traffic going in the other direction. They let this one guy do this at the expense of all the drivers behind them trying to get through the green light.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

Well not only do they not care about the people behind them, the delay is now taught! A couple years ago I got a rather ticky-tacky ticket... I did a right turn but missed the tail end of the yellow by 1/10 of a second. The cross traffic had green left arrows. The cop nearly caused a collision to come after me and I got in nobody's way. So online traffic school. In that they said to wait TWO SECONDS AFTER THE VEHICLE IN FRONT OF YOU MOVES. Essentially this kills intersection throughput. My experience in Germany was everyone moves together when the light turns green. (they have the blinking yellow to get people ready for the green which helps)

"consideration" The assbackwards notions of american courtsey. Doing a favor for person A at the expense of person B. It's pretty much how much in this country functions.

Reply to
Brent