A tad off topic re 1986 F-150

My son in Colorado has an old F-150 which he is trying to get started so his step son can drive. He put in a new battery today and it started. Then he turned it off and tried to start it again but no go. In fact no juice re lights, etc. He's about 30 miles from the nearest mechanic. Any simple answers?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

Dave Combs wrote: Any simple

This question comes up a LOT on automotive newsgroups. None of us are near your vehicle so we really don't know what is wrong. Somebody here might guess and get it right, but it will only be a guess. The simpliest answer I can give you is to get a $5 test light from your auto parts store and follow the path, starting with the positive post on your battery. My only answer I can give you is to follow the light......

Reply to
Kruse

"Dave Combs" wrote in news:XbRAg.9174$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.socal.rr.com:

Clean the cable clamps?

Reply to
elaich

Yip, no lights, it's probably the connection. Use a file on the inside of the cables if they're old, clean them up good, check all connections. If a wire is cracked, replace it. They seem to be very finicky from my experience.

Brad

Clean the cable clamps?

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Dirty battery connections!!! Use a wire brush and shop vac, then put petroleum jelly over them when you're done and that'll last as long as the battery does. Dave

Reply to
nospam